Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Disgusted with metro ice and tired of the abuse, I went to my happy place... a 1870 square mile tract of wilderness on the other side of the continental divide from boulder. last weekend I went to a pretty well known.. **** it, I went to williams fork. I went in from the south shore, thinking the snow wasn't gonna be bad. welp, dumb mistake there... walked and fell in a snowdrift that was neck high right by pike flats.... after postholing it through to the shore, I walked out about 50 yards and drilled holes with my dull ass hand auger. marked fish at 45 feet, and they came in pretty consistently. had 4 on the ice in 20 minutes, and then the bite died at 11.... but the fish were showing. tried deadsticking and got a few to nibble, and got 2 that way.. but then got tired of cockblockers.. so I decided to pack up and posthole it back a half mile to my car, to go ice fish tom's favorite lake... (I wanted brookies and lots of them).. walked in, and dished till late evening. used my aqua vu and turned on the lights...... did you know that brook trout are attracted to lights? it made catching them sitting ducks.

ice at both lakes was about 20 inches... with about 8 of it being frozen slush. easy to walk on.

this week, I was supposed to take my friend to turquoise lake for some easy pickins but, he flaked last minute.... (story of my life)... and I decided that since the sky was the limit, I'm going to go wherever I wanted. with my new transducer that finally came in the mail... and feeling confident, I ultimately decided on willies again... and decided to put in work. upon arrival, It was cold but not for my blubbered ass... even had a **** talker mean mug me and say "what the **** is wrong with you dude" as he was putting on layers... where I responded back "nothing, whats wrong with you".. smiled and kept walking on the ice.

I saw lots of people out there this weekend.. probably because of the tourny. went out to a spot a half mile out from the boat ramp, drilled holes... and tried to find fish. drilled about 14 holes and finally found a money spot at 60 feet deep next to some sudden depth change, and started jigging. had a limit within an hour and 15, lost many more... so I made a phone call to my little pal who was fishing the tourney, and we decided to meet up for lunch and hangs on the ice. on the way back, met some poor dudes who were about 50 yards from me that couldn't get into fish but were psyched watching me slam them. gave them my bait and a few small tube jigs/jigheads, showed them what to do... and they got into fish quickly as well.

drove through to granby and met up with my boy, bullshitted with the pie lady behind the bank.... and then we went to his family's fishing spot at A-bay. nobody was having much luck... so I decided to fish with my friend's dad, and got into a nice qualifying laker... that I threw back. made me want to fish the tourney next year.

We did some musical vehicle switching, and went to willow creek. ice there was 3 feet thick and brutal to drill with a dull hand auger. fishing was slow as **** until 4 oclock.. then the switch flicked and every cutbow/stocker came out of the wood work and slammed our jigs. we were fishing off a small cliff area by shore. had both of our limits in 30 minutes. my friend caught the biggest, a 16 inch cutbow. nice to see all the fish there are getting some size to them, hopefully the kokanee will have made a comeback too.

we left at about 6 ish and I didn't get home till almost 8:30. eff ski traffic....
gave my mom most of my fish this last week... and kept all the catch from this week. had a hell of a stirfry.

[/img]https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/1011103_647952391933310_2045677053_n.jpg[/img]

I used 2 inch charteuse tube jigs and normal painted jigheads at williams fork last week, and this week I switched it up to a 1/2 oz jighead and 3 1/2 inch charteuse jig... and had alot more action.... tipped jigs with frozen sucker meat last week, and fresh deaded medium shiners this week.. fished between 45-60 feet. most fish would chase it up 20 feet from bottom and assault the offering. makes me more of a firm believer that fresh bait will always outperform frozen, smushy bait.

used a pearl gitzit tube jig with frozen sucker, fishing 30 feet of water on granby.

used yellow squirmin squirts at willow creek, tipped with waxies. fished cliffs in 10 feet of water in the evening.

used yellow SS's at officer's gulch with waxies as well.

I love grand county but screw ski traffic. I'm done ice fishing for about a few weeks as well, gotta make some money.... next time i'm out, I'll be in park county where the drive home will be easier.... might try elevenmile or the slut.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Nice dude, were you at the fork today? I was out there, spent the first 1.5 hours pulling not one but 2 trucks out and up the hill across from the main boat ramp.

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not today dude.

How the hell did people get stuck? It was nothing for my civic.

·
Registered
24,552 Posts
Yeah if Daves car didnt get stuck...he had to push it up tnhe ramp road at Creek...lol...

Yep epic report...time for you to upgrade the size of those tubes and go monster hunting...one 20+ and you will be sold for life...

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Thanks for the report Dave!!

I actually hit the fork last monday... Fished 6:30ish-3:30ish..... the 2 guys i was with managed some small lakers... I got skunked.

I wasnt targetting small guys though!! lets just say if I would have gotten bit.. it would have been a good one for sure!!

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
I wasnt targetting small guys though!! lets just say if I would have gotten bit.. it would have been a good one for sure!!
Go big or go home!! Right, Ricky? :thumb:

·
Registered
342 Posts
Hey I can tell that's WF from the pictures -wait, you posted the location (and the word 'laker').

Nice report and glad you got out!

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Not today dude.

How the hell did people get stuck? It was nothing for my civic.
You were fishing the plowed road, Ion auger side. We were over on the gas auger truck only, balls deep side. 2-3 feet of snow on the road did a number on a couple Toyotas.

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok ok... Gotcha. I contemplated going there, but saw how much it snowed and decided to hoof it from the other side. Can't believe people were trying to drive in that.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts