Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just returned from a nice 8 day vacation to the Upper Peninsula. Spent 3 of the days with a 72 hour Non Resident fishing license. Really only got to spend a few hours each of those days, but that was all I needed!

Used 4’ ultralight and tossed it all. Spinners, mini cranks, plastics and even some midges and crawlers. It was a struggle with metal (which was really strange).

Fishing Day 1 was spent chasing Brookies on the Ford River, Skunk Creek, Michigamme River and the Pine Creek.

All notable action came on the Pine, which is a pretty unknown place.

Fishing Day 2 was spent on the Lower Sturgeon targeting Browns, but got interrupted by 18-22” northerns. Then spent time hunting crawfish with the kids. Fun.

Fishing Day 3 was the best. Started out after Brookies on some really small streams, biggest being 48” wide. Not the biggest fish, but pulling 12”+ trout out of a creek 24-36” wide is good stuff.

Then ended the fishing on the Upper Sturgeon River, one of my favorite places.

Caught this chub when I tried flailing after some slow time...figures what I get when I try flies

Also ran across 3 snappers dropping eggs in holes right next to asphalt. It was crazy, but cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
P I K E
10,117 Posts
Very kewl J! THX for sharing bud!

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Neat area. How were the ticks?

Not bad at all. Only picked 2 off the entire trip and I was waist deep in brush for several hours over the whole trip (between fishing looking at land)

Of course, the weather certainly has helped. Had lows into the 40s for 3 days.

In Arkansas, we pick them off in the double digits after every hike. About the only negative thing I have to say about Arkansas yet.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, our house doesn’t have AC so we try to get up the first week after school is out

Such an awesome place for sure!

And we drove my 2WD work truck through areas it wasn’t meant to be in Craig Lake State Park, but it was so worth it

And was greeted by these guys when we pulled into our place!

Love the UP!

·
Registered
373 Posts
I love the U.P. Looks like you got out just in time though. They had 7+ inches of rain on Sunday which has caused some serious flash flooding up there.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
VERY COOL REPORT!! AND GREAT PICS!!

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
WOW!!! Very nice pics. Looks like fun was had.. Love the kiddo playing with crawdads... good times right there!

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I failed to mention the firsthand observations of various ANS in many of the lakes and a few of the rivers we splashed in.

But what I saw was very alarming. In the lakes, we saw zebra mussels everywhere. In the rivers we saw snails. I wish I would have taken pictures because in some places it was unreal. I am talking covered, in the thousands.

It has only improved already great smallmouth fishing, but certainly there are other downsides besides the eyesore at the beach (and the obvious impact to marine vessels and infrastructure)

With that, we did remove HUNDREDs of these snails and mussels from the water (EACH day, for at least 3 days from our favorite swimming lakes/rivers). Listening to them sizzle and snap and pop in the fire was refreshing

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I don't believe the public fully understands the consequences of a major ANS infestation.
I have said before I have relatives in Michigan and get first hand info.

The complaining about various things on here would be minor if this happens IMO.

:)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Too bad about the infestation. I was stationed at Kinchloe in the early 70s. Would hunt west of Rudard and smell dip at the mouth of the Pineriver.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Did a lot of fishing the UP this year myself, more towards copper harbor, though and also near Houghton, always nice fish and pretty spots. Thanks for the tip on the pine, I know an awesome river/location about 1.5 hr from craig lake as well, you can catch bows browns and brookies, the browns can get over 20" regularly, PM me for details!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts