Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spent the last week up in Michigan visiting family. Got to sneak off and fish a bit. Highlight of the week was fishing the Manistee river salmon run. The Manistee is where the world record brown was caught last year, and has probably the best salmon run in the state. Between my wife and I, we probably hooked at least 30 fish, and landed around 10. These Chinook ( king ) salmon ran between 10-20 lbs. If you have never salmon fished, I highly recommend doing a trip somewhere to try for them. These fish are brutes, and a blast to catch. The one thing I miss about Michigan is fishing for these bad boys!

We launched at Tippy Dam. If you have ever been to Tippy during the salmon run, you know what a clusterf *&;#% it is. Being a week day it wasn't too bad-

My wife has never caught a salmon. Being her first time, I thought I would do it right and hired a guide. He did not disappoint. He took us to a hole that we did not move from all day. What was strange was using a flyrod to salmon fish. Usually I use a big spinning rod with a crankbait or spawn sacks. He said flys were working real well, so flyrod it was. Notice the two handed grip on the 10 weight . These things will rip the rod from your hands!

Wife with her first salmon

We caught fish till our arms ached

The trip was awsome, the weather was great, the trees were beautiful, and the fishing was excellent. Like I said, if you can get the chance to catch some kings, do it. Doesn't get much better!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
mtnfisher said:
VERY NICE! It looks like your wife's is bigger :D
Yep, she caught the biggest, right at 20 lbs. It's cool- the trip was for her enjoyment, she had never caught a salmon before.
gofindyourowndamnfish said:
Very cool! Are those fish still bright enough to eat??
We kept a few. I usually don't care for the fish out of the river, but she wanted to try some.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
Great job and thanks for sharing...she looks pretty happy...

Good choice hiring a guide...making it a lock that she got into those fish...

·
Registered
490 Posts
Awesome pics., looks like a great time had by all. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
zman said:
Great job and thanks for sharing...she looks pretty happy...

Good choice hiring a guide...making it a lock that she got into those fish...
Yep, the smile says it all. She is a Colorado native, and while we fish a lot, she has never caught anything bigger than a 20 inch walleye or trout. It's an awesome experience for anyone.
I've fished for over 40 years, and this was the first time I have ever hired a guide. I need to win the lotto so I can fish like that every time! It was so nice being pampered, and having a river boat was a huge advantage.

·
Registered
622 Posts
MY HOME TOWN AREA TOO...LOVE TO FISH TIPPY DAM ALL THE WAY DOWN TO SUICIDE BEND......LITTLE MANISTEE RIVER TOO FOR STEELHEAD I WILL BE THERE OVER HALLOWEEN.....THE BETSY RIVER TOO AND THE PIER HEADS AND LUDINGTON

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
jrfish said:
MY HOME TOWN AREA TOO...LOVE TO FISH TIPPY DAM ALL THE WAY DOWN TO SUICIDE BEND......LITTLE MANISTEE RIVER TOO FOR STEELHEAD I WILL BE THERE OVER HALLOWEEN.....THE BETSY RIVER TOO AND THE PIER HEADS AND LUDINGTON
From the reports I got while there, the steelhead are there, just not any consistent action yet. By halloween it should be hot. Enjoy it while you're there. Behind wiper, steelhead have to be my favorite fish to catch. Wish we had runs of fish like that here.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I fished there 2 years ago (the fall after the summer I worked for GM in Detroit) and I caught some nice kings...it was a ball...I've been too broke to go the last two years though. Those kings are some very fun fish to catch.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts