Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally back fom Michigan, has been over 2 weeks being home, but here’s the story ... is a long one.

Went out there to help a friend clean out his garage & sell a bunch of stuff on Ebay. House ended being right on St Clair Lake (St Clair Shores) … if you don’t know where it is, it is the lake above Detroit. House has a good lil  boat house & dock area. The water off dock varied between about 1-2 fow, the water level is VERY low out there & very dirty .. go figure. When I first got there, the 1st thing I noticed was all the fishing boats out about 200 yards from his back dock directly behind his house, but no other boats if you looked left or right, A hotspot ?? They were out there almost every day, counted about 20 boats on one morning. I figure fat perch / blue/ bass catches

Suprisingly, we caught all kinds of fish from the backyard dock, check out the pics, they should explain themselves … and I was very happy to be able to fish anytime of the day or night as a workbreak. White Bass, Perch, Carp, Spotted Gar (Gar-Pike), Catfish, Smallies, Largemouths

Spent plenty of time tryin to teach the kids to fish too, ended up being ME tying knots all afternoon & untangling, but its ok. The huge catfish were fun at first, but the 1st few I caught were a  pain in the Ass.. as I had to drag them into the knee deep washed up muck because the water was so low, was unable to succesfully catch em from the dock, needed a long handle net , especially if alone … I did land a Fat Cat while the kids were there, the older son Joey held the rod while I used pliers & grabbed the hook as I was hangin off the dock ladder & heaved the big cat to the dock, the younger girl Ashley screamed “bloody murder” when I threw that big cat onto the dock .. was so funny .. her mom came running as if something bad happened. She thought that was the nastiest fish she’s ever seen too, wiskers were about 5-6” long.

Also caught a approx 25 lb carp using Lm jig in 2 fow, HUGE & a fighter, took twenty minutes. The cats & carps were great practice for big fishing. tight lines .. lots of drag .. 10-15 minutes to land a fish

Plenty of huge dead muskies would wash in with the storms, longest was about 3+ft long with plenty of other debris. Had a couple Salmon (about 24”) wash up too.  Lots of condoms, beer cans, trash, buckets, even a huge boat dock plank. Carp would jump everywhere somedays. Catfish were a surprise as they came out of nowhere after me being there a month, went from catching spotted gars (gar-pikes) to catching fat cats. LMs would show up now & then too, which were fun.

The funniest day was a very clear, no wind, no wave day. The seagulls were attacking my buddies minnows from the air. They would dive bomb em from about 20-30 feet, catch the minnow, only to have it pulled out of their mouth by the fishing line ... I tried to capture it on video, but no luck ... I had a bobber on mine that day, i think those birds knew better ... we were about ready to get the pellet gun out, those birds were stalling long enough before their dive for a good single shot ,,, those birds costed about $2.00 a dozen for minnows .. killed about 10+ minnows at least

ALL FISH WERE RELEASED

So heres the photos … Im so glad to be back in sunny colorado .. rained for almost 2 weeks straight out there….. bummmmer .. esp for the allergies , allergies are gone since home ... woooohoo ... I love the clear water here tooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!………………enjoy!!!

[img]
[img]

·
OG LOKE
18,957 Posts
That is AWESOME...looks like a great time....what did you catch those Gar on?...I'm not joking but if you want to know a good lure or bait for Gar...look no further than a tampon...i'm not joking...All their little teeth get tangled inside the tampon...

again AWESOME post....love those pictures!!!

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
Nice...great photos and story...bet they loved that Av's sweatshirt back there...

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Nice variety of fish. Looks like a good trip. I tried posting a couple of pics from our latest trip (3 weeks ago) but I can't get the file size small enough (Lake Trout and walleye). My best friend lives in St. Clair Shores. I will be going back on June 28 and will try to post some pics.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
waterfowler said:
I tried posting a couple of pics from our latest trip (3 weeks ago) but I can't get the file size small enough (Lake Trout and walleye).
You should have a basic photo editing program on your computer (paint, or ms photo) ... image size should be around 480- 640 wide for fastest loading

I was hoping to catch some huge lakers & walleye out there, but had no boat to use. tried to get our friend to buy a boat but it never happened. even looked at like 20 boats. We almost went on a charter for $400 but it was time to go. was fun anyway, like i said, it is so great to be back in colorado.

I almost wore the avs hoody to a redwing game, but i was warned ahead of time that a giant hotdog with extra ketchup may ping me in the head

Detroit is a rough city for sure, we got to a see a guy get tazed by police outside a bar. The detroit downtown hoe-down was the scariest free country show ever i think.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
k0diak said:
what did you catch those Gar on
live minnows, no bobber, small weight ... after the third one i caught, i quit using minnows, those teeth are heinous. plus i was sick of the seagulls attacking the bait.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts