Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Spent last week in the beautiful Upper Peninsula of Michigan. While the trip is mainly a family vacation to our house (swim, ATV, hike, work on house), I do take the opportunity and get the 3 day NR fishing license to spend some time on the water.

Most of my time was spent on the rivers/creeks I grew up fishing, mainly for the nostalgia but also because they provide some killer fishing. A few of the streams are small and overlooked but loaded with brookies that are perfect for the fry pan.

Fished Tues-Thurs:
Tuesday was 74deg and sunny. Lots of fish (brook trout)
Wednesday was 58deg and rainy. Few fish in the AM but then it shut down.
Thursday was 68deg and overcast. Not a single fish but an absolute beautiful day.
Used Mepps and Kasty's along with floating crawlers

The weather system that rolled through really had an impact (that is my excuse). I didn't even get a hit on Thursday (of the fish kind) and I threw all the things that work and in spots I have caught fish. I didn't catch any smallmouths this year, but also didn't target them (usually get a couple chasing browns though). The rivers usually have a pretty consistent flow rate (spring fed) but the Sturgeon appeared to have been high and recently dropped to normal.

Only sharing a fraction of the pictures, but it was a great trip spent with some tight lines.

Went up a week later than usual but was still happy to find a couple of morels!

Still disheartening to see how bad the ANS is (mussels and clams)

I could go on and on about how great the UP is, but frankly it probably is not appealing to many people hailing from Colorado lol. But for me any my family the UP is not only a place, it is a state of mind.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Pretty scenery!

·
Registered
441 Posts
I could go on and on about how great the UP is, but frankly it probably is not appealing to many people hailing from Colorado lol
I am not sure how true that is... I love the UP and Michigan in general... I am a Colorado native, but have some fond memories fishing for Pike and Smallmouth with my dad near Traverse City as a youngster.

It is a different kind of beauty than Colorado for sure, but I feel anyone could appreciate it if they actually went and saw it.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Lived in Michigan for years.
Left in 1977.
The UP is a special place.

:)

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow a totally alien world compared to Colorado-
Your sarcasm is spot on! It's not totally different (and certainly not alien) when looking out over say 50-100 yards, it is more the panoramic views that are lacking.

The quality of fishing that you guys are able to manage with such limited water and an abundance of population has always been impressive to me :tape:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts