Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since my usual spots in Middle park aren't quite ready yet, I decided to fish 2 lakes in the area that I've never hit before. The 1st was Wolford Res. There was 1 group on the north end, but the didn't really feel like dragging my stuff up & down that big hill, so I went out of the boat ramp. Was deep, 27ft of water out from the ramp, but hit this guy on the 1st drop down.

Pink/white tube has been the ticket this year! Caught another 6 bows & browns in the next hour, then it died. So moved out towards the main lake, fished off a point in 20ft of water. Caught a couple better Rainbows, then was shocked when I hooked up with this!

Felt just like everything else, was surprised when I saw this bright pink fish at 1st. went 16in.

Was a fun lake, caught 12 total, Set up the JJ the last hour, but no hits. Stopped at the booth and was disappointed when I saw this posted on the shack.

The on slaught on Pike continues I guess.

The next day I fished Willow Creek. Was a fun lake, easily caught over 20 bows, some good size! 5 in. of ice, but 4in. of water/slush of top! Glad I had great waterproof boots, because my feet were under water most of the afternoon. Caught my 1st 4 fish on the JJ! works great, but it started to freeze up as it was sitting in water most of the time.

Was a great time! Won't be long till the Laker lakes are good to go!

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Well done! Offering cash for dead pike is ridic. :mad:

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
The sign says $20 for a live pike... do you think they are relocating them to other bodies of water?
It's so people don't try to bring back the same dead ones over and over (if they then let you keep the pike).

And/or so people don't try to bring them from other bodies of water.

I didn't even know that pike had gotten into Wolford...

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
It's so people don't try to bring back the same dead ones over and over (if they then let you keep the pike).

And/or so people don't try to bring them from other bodies of water.

I didn't even know that pike had gotten into Wolford...
Smart! :thumb:

·
Registered
937 Posts
They have been in there for a few years. I went for the first time two years ago and asked about it. He said they had been illegally introduced and they wanted them out of there. He told me a week or so before I was there a young gentleman made $600. :eek::eek::eek:

·
Registered
702 Posts
Thanks for the report. How thick was ice at Wolford?

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
They have been in there for a few years. I went for the first time two years ago and asked about it. He said they had been illegally introduced and they wanted them out of there. He told me a week or so before I was there a young gentleman made $600. :eek::eek::eek:
If someone made $600 in a day or two, there are already far too many for this to help!!! Maybe if the DOW would make a few specific lakes pike friendly, they wouldn't have so many problems with bucket biologists

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
We caught Pike in there few years ago. This year seen a few Pike in the Colorado river around Parshall and down towards Radium.

·
Registered
468 Posts
It was not $600 it was $680 0ver a two day period. Most were in the 12 to 14 inch size. My grandson caught most of them while I ran the boat and my son ran the net. They would not bite unless the wind was blowing. I fished it one day this summer in June and did not catch a pike.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Interesting. I didn't make it to Wolford in 15, but in 14 the Campground host told me they didn't have any pike turned in that year....

·
Registered
468 Posts
It was 2013 when my grandson,my son and I pocketed the $680. You are correct that none were turned in 2014 and none had been turned in by the end of June in 2015.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Is it unusual to catch Kokes under the ice?

Btw, nice outting!

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Is it unusual to catch Kokes under the ice?

Btw, nice outting!
I've run into spawning kokes under the ice at Wolford, they wouldn't bite traditional offerings as they are dying and not that interested in feeding. But I found that if I danced a jigging Rapala over them it irritated them enough to hit it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts