Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, figured most folks aren't going to check the midge swap thread since it's been closed for a while. I'm bowing out due to things at home and time being constraint, sorry about that, but that opens up a spot for an eager tyer who wants to bang out 30 flies in the next 2 weeks. See the midge swap post to get in on the action.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Good move Andrew, gotta get one taker!!!! :eek:

Bob

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Just let them know they have to tie the juju, lol.

·
Registered
883 Posts
If you give me until the 4th of Feb to get them in the mail I would jump in. I have to go out of town this week so I will need a little extra time. If you folks don't mind waiting a little longer let me know.

·
Registered
382 Posts
sorelips said:
If you give me until the 4th of Feb to get them in the mail I would jump in. I have to go out of town this week so I will need a little extra time. If you folks don't mind waiting a little longer let me know.
Thanks SoreLips but Fishingal filled the slot and we have the 16 needed at this time. I will keep you in mind!

Bob

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
slowdown said:
Dont know if anyone replied to you via PM or not, but Im okay with that time extention. hell I aint planning to fish anytime soon, so the flies could come in march as far as it goes for me.
Why the hell not? You can't golf in Feb!

·
Registered
382 Posts
The thing is that as host I need to wrap this up by mid Feb.

Bob

·
Registered
382 Posts
Yes it has. People on thi sforum seem to always step up and complete the job.

Bob

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Cranking out jujubees as fast as I can. Should be done by tomorrow. ;)

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
fishingal said:
Cranking out jujubees as fast as I can. Should be done by tomorrow. ;)
Thats what Im talking about!!!

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Only because it's for you guys am I doing this. I am really beginning to *hate* ultra hair. ;)

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
awesome, I'm excited to see everyone's midges! I've been meaning to try tying jujubee's, but learning them for a swap didn't seem fair to everyone else. They would have been pretty ugly, methinks.

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The hardest part is learning how to get the superhair to line up at the butt end so the rest of it lies right. I pull it straight up and wrap it loose, then pull it tight, and then use my finger/thumbnail to push it back to where is is supposed to be, then continue wrapping up to the thorax.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Yeah, I'm figuring that out. It's weird and annoying, and sometimes a drop of Flex-seal on the thread wraps before you start wrapping the superhair helps a little. I'm using 16/0 Tiemco thread underneath - not too bad, actually. The fluoro-fibre in the wingcase/legs looks great and I'm getting really good with that part.

Good thing to try something new for a swap - you tie enough so you actually get decent at that pattern. One I probably never would have tried on my own. Thanks for the opportunity, guys. ;)

·
Registered
541 Posts
Koldkut said:
The hardest part is learning how to get the superhair to line up at the butt end so the rest of it lies right. I pull it straight up and wrap it loose, then pull it tight, and then use my finger/thumbnail to push it back to where is is supposed to be, then continue wrapping up to the thorax.
After your initial wrap of the Super Hair, pin it down with your finger and keep it pinned until after the second wrap. At that point it will stay up on the hook unless you release tension. That stuff can get pretty annoying to get started with. Second hardest part of that fly is tying in the legs and wingcase and not bulking up the head, especially on those #24s and #26s...

Those flies with pretty precise steps (Jujubee) get mentally exhausting and I can only crank out like 6 at a time before I need to go drink a beer or watch TV to re-energize and tie some more....

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
The 16/0 Tiemco thread helped a lot on the jujubees. Just glad I'm done.
Thanks again, Bob, for hosting. Nice to see you tonight.

Hope you guys enjoy. ;)

S

·
0 Posts
Eastcoastangler said:
Koldkut said:
After your initial wrap of the Super Hair, pin it down with your finger and keep it pinned until after the second wrap. At that point it will stay up on the hook unless you release tension. That stuff can get pretty annoying to get started with. Second hardest part of that fly is tying in the legs and wingcase and not bulking up the head, especially on those #24s and #26s...

Those flies with pretty precise steps (Jujubee) get mentally exhausting and I can only crank out like 6 at a time before I need to go drink a beer or watch TV to re-energize and tie some more....
I find it super easy to just pull UP when wrapping the first 2 turns, that way the strands wond jump. A neat, flat thread base is an absolute must !!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts