Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sick of my 20-22 midge hooks being straitened out by big fish. Has anyone found a nymph hook that holds better then others. I love orvis everything but I've been a bit frustrated with there hooks as of late. I'll have an RS2 straiten out on the first run before I even begin to put pressure on the fish. Surely someone has a better small sized hook. Any suggestions would be great.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I like Dai-Riki and TMC heavy wire scud hooks for anything that I'm planning to fish right on the bottom. Haven't had either hook fail on a fish although the Dai-Riki's occasionally break in the vise or when I'm pinching down the barb. I'm not sure if you can get either hook smaller than 18 or 20? I don't fish hooks any smaller than 20 for the same reason - they either break/straighten on big fish or you have to play the fish to exhaution to avoid putting too much pressure on the hook.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks....I'll look for those next time I go hook shoping which will be soon with midge season infront of us. How do you do with a midge such as a black beauty in size 18? I would love to use an 18 but that just seems like a really big midge larva compared to the naturals I've scene that are 22 and smaller.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I agree that 18 is too big for some of those tiny midge patterns. I looked into the sizes available for the hooks I mentioned and found that both go down to #22.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts