Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure who first coined the term "mighty rainbow trout" but I think it might have been Mark {Zman} anyway I see people on CF talking about the mighty bows...With the full moon last night I started out thinking about walleyes, my wife, kids, and I were in Denver yesterday to see the pirate exhibit at the Denver Natural History Museum. The exhibit was sold out, I guess that's what I get for going on a Saturday. We went through the other parts of the museum anyway and then hit bass pro. After that we were on the road, I still had walleyes on my mind so at sun down we hit a fishery known to hold bass and eyes. I got one good bite which I missed :p..it was getting to be bed time for the kids so we headed home. But I still hadn't got my fix fishin' yet. I went out to see what I could get done, first cast I had a good bite and fish on, landed it and to my surprise it was a rainbow trout. Now I say to my surprise because I catch a lot more brown trout than bows night fishing. I released the bow and thought to my self about how it's supposed to be a jinx to catch on your first cast. Ah, not true I bet I'll have fast action tonight I'm thinking. Well it was quite a while before I got an other hit, this time a brown with really good color patterns. It was all piss and vinegar on the line too, pound for pound one of the better fighting browns I've probably caught. The only problem was pound for pound it only probably weighted a pound :D. Oh well at least the jinx was off at that point. I kept fishing and moved a few times, again about an hour had gone by with no action and I was thinking I'd call it a night soon. Let me take a second to explane how bright the moon light was last night; I could see in the water with out even using my head lamp. So I see a fish follow my bait in. It looked like a decent fish, good enough to keep me fishing a little longer. So as I retrieved my lure in this area I was bumping into some rocks and cover. I felt as though I had hit a rock when I realized a second to late that I had weight on the line and quite a bit of weight, I saw the fish as I pulled it to the top of the water, but I had botched the hook set :'(. I was thinking it would be unlikely to get the fish to hit a second time, but this felt like a good fish so I decided I'd try, and would you believe it, it did hit again. This time I slammed the set and landed a skinny but nice sized bow at 24" long. It's tail seemed kind of mangled, or I would guess it would be an inch or two longer. Thanks for reading. Here's the pics.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
longdraw said:
Looks like somebody hit that thing with a paper-cutter.

If I am not mistaken, it's "magnificent rainbow trout"...

Ha ha you know what I think you're right... magnificent rainbow...well at lest MRT works...ha ha.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Product Review: Okuma C3
I was going to do a quick product review on this report as well but my typing field keeps scrolling to the top of the page so I'll add trhe review now; The combo you see in the second pic is my new spinning set up. The rod is a 6'6" MH Okuma Carbon Cone Concept, Tackle Warehouse had 'em half off last fall and on black Friday they were 15% off on top of that so it ended up being $60 for the rod which runs for $140 usually. With free shipping a solid deal! I'm very happy with Tackle Warehouse for their free shipping on orders over $50 and they've had real speedy shipping every time I've ordered from them. Anyway this rod was an xmas present from my wife. I wanted this set up mainly for throwing jerkbaits and large tube jigs, I normally use my bait casters for these tactics but if it's below freezing the baitcaster ices up real bad compared to a spinning set up. I must say though that I'm a lot happier with this rod for $60 because it is noticeable heavier that the bass pro carbonlites and the Abu Garcia veritas. And the rod doesn't have a hook keeper, I added a Fuji hook keeper. I do really like the action for jerkbaits, it's listed as an xfast, it imparts a good crisp action to jerks but isn't a broom stick. It also has a lifetime warranty which is sweet. I'd also give this rod pretty good points for sensitivity, I have only caught five fish on it so far {all trout} But everytime I've had gloves on two of the times I had on my heavy neoprene gloves and I could feel the bites well.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nascar or Fishing? said:
Snake River Rainbow Trout... :D That is the slimmest trout I've seen in a long time.

Yes truly it was built more like a northern than a trout. It's kind of too bad to see such poor body condition. If I had to guess I'd say that it's an old fish and well past it's prime. I was still pretty stoked to catch it though because it's a lot bigger than they are averaging in the fishery I was at.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
That MRT has been on Dexatrim, but hey, a 24" Colorado fish is never something you won't take. Nice, Jevan.

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
Wow Jevan its missing its bottom half like Longdraw said...

Yessir and it is Magnificent Rainbow Trout...

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Product Review part 2: Abu Garcia stx soron 20.
Ok so for the other half of the combo, I picked up this spinning reel this year for use on two different rods. At first I was thinking of getting a Quantum Energy, or a Shimano Symetre. But after comparing the Quantum next to the Abu, the Abu felt at least as smooth cranking and the bail trip felt just as strong so for $50 less I was leaning towards the Abu. Then I read a few reviews about the Quantum that were not that good so that sealed the deal between those two. I actually looked at a lot of different types of reels and I did really like the Shimano Symetre too, but it's only a four bearing system and the Abu is an eleven bearing reel for close to the same price. I even considered the Shimano Stradic for $200 which is really smooth and I do like the look and feel of that reel, but it doesn't come with a spare spool and at that price point it seems like it should. And since I'm planning on using this reel on two different rods the extra spool is a must. I was also less than impressed by some manufacturers reels which are not for use in salt water, not that I'm sure I'll use this reel in salt water but if I do get a chance to fish salt water I don't want to have to worry about getting new reels, and to me it implies poor maternal use that something can't hold up to the corrosive environment. So anyway that was why I went with the Abu {very similar process to why I got my Abu Garcia baitcasters which have performed flawlessly for several year}. I've been running #14 fireline on it and I'm very pleased with the reel so far. I know there are nicer reels like the Shimano Stella ex. but those are running over twice as much $. So for anyone in the market for a new reel my two cents is look at Shimano or Abu Garica. Tight lines everyone.

·
Registered
4,731 Posts
As Z in his largeness has disinvited me on his boat for this years A-town tourney, that is the ugliest slimer ever posted. Yes they are slimers...not majestic, magnificant, pretty, whatever. While Z might have named them MRT, he squeals like a girl when he lands one. He actually expects that someone...other than him, will pull the hook n release it. Slimer! Nice one tho.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sashimi said:
Nice, but is there something wrong with that fish, it looks really straight!! :eek:
Hey it looked like it might have a few things wrong with it...being straight {if you mean dead} wasn't one of 'em though. I did successfully C&R it here's an other pic which shows it wiggling;

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
And one more pic to prove the release. I will not bs here this fish was slow to revive, I did keep it in the net under water while setting up my camera and in between pics as I do with all trout to try my best to achieve a healthy release. I would think with the water as cold as it is now there would be high levels of oxygen as well. It was also a very short fight since the fish hit real close in and my drag was good and tight with #14 test. But in any case it still acted a little rocked. As I said above I don't think it was the healthiest fish I've ever seen. I'm guessing the damn thing was old but who knows. I do know I've caught a lot of trout from this location and even an 18"er is well over average for the area..

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
colonative said:
As Z in his largeness has disinvited me on his boat for this years A-town tourney, that is the ugliest slimer ever posted. Yes they are slimers...not majestic, magnificant, pretty, whatever. While Z might have named them MRT, he squeals like a girl when he lands one. He actually expects that someone...other than him, will pull the hook n release it. Slimer! Nice one tho.

Ha ha ha, that's the best reply yet!! Nice! ;D

HOGMASTER said:
Oh No I have a Idea for a new size swimbait!! ;D

If you build it don't forget the ripped up tail!

Tight lines guys, thanks for the replies. 8)

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
colonative said:
You really should install a breathalyzer on your keyboard...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts