Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When Ike was culling today he pulled out a dead fish and absolutely freaked out and lost it! He grabbed the flag pole off the back of his boat and threw it in the water and caused a bit of disturbance. The guy is a great stick and even Kevin VanDam regards him as his favorite fisherman. KVD says that Ike thinks a lot like he does in a recent interview. I guess he will probably go to the FLW now?? Crazy Stuff!! I have been trying to get in touch with Ike all afternoon to see if the flagpole incident is what got him disqualified or did he say something way out of line. I will keep you posted.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Re: Mike Iconelli Disqualified From The Citgo BASS Classic

They might have thought it was unsportsmanlike behavior or something, but even so, he would only have been disqualified for that one event, right? No reason to go to the FLW just because of that, unless he is really, really mad about it.

Sounds like Ike just being Ike, to me. If you hear more about the details, please do post it. I kind of get a charge out of him, even though there's no way I would fish with him. :)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Destroying safety equip. would be defined as throwing his flagpole from the back of his boat into the water. He has a temper and I think what he did was wrong. BASS has not been the same since ESPN took over---it's a corp. political game now. more and more anglers are joining one of the 10 divisions of the FLW as they are not political and the pay-out verses BASS is about 8 to 1. Ike is very passionate about his fishing, but he does get carried away at times. I am not sure this little stunt warrants disqualification though???

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts

FLW is to sponser based, people get disqualified for alot of things there and the FLW doesnt comment on the disqualifications like BASS does.
Ike is a little out there sometimes and BASS likes it... this disqualification was pretty justified if you ask me no need to throw a tamptrum for a penalty, onlt to get disqualified for your tamptrum. I am almost sure FLW would of done the same.

M

·
0 Posts

Ike is an awesome fisherman, and an ispiration to young dudes like me...Bill Dance just gets a lil old sometimes and it's nice to have a "TO" figure in the mainstream fishing scene...Sorry if it offends any of you...i mean those...old dudes when someone gets fired up about fishing...I love it.

I can just hear the classic fishermen..."that hotrod idiot over there screamin' again...moron.."

Whatever, go catch some fish and stop whining about a young guy whoopin' up with an attitude.

Yup, I got a lil off topic...

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Mustang, I have to agree with you and I agree with Epic. He should have been disqualified IF he made as big of production as the press is leading us to believe. Either the BASS or FLW would have disqualified him, but the reason I think he might go to the FLW is because BASS might be done with him. Many anglers are going to the FLW tour now. I switched and I am doing the ABA this year as well as the BFL division of the FLW. I can understand his frustration though, making it to the Classic is like the Olympics of bass fishing. There are a lot of emotions going on and Ike set out to win this tournament. Now, thats not to say that one bad day blew it for him, but he lost his cool. Omori won the classic two years ago in the last 8 minutes. If it wasn't for the last two fish he caught, he would have barely made the top ten. Mustang, I agree about having a more fired up angler on tour than the Bill Dance mold. I met Bill at a mall in Alexandria, Louisiana when I was 9 years old. At that point in my life, I was fishing 7 days a week. We lived on Toledo Bend which is an incredible fishing spot thats's right at 100 miles long. It runs through TX, LA and into AK. Bill was doing a tank show and seminar and I was absolutely blown away. This guy was my hero!!! I have seen Bill many times over the years and your right, it gets old watching his show. He fishes private waters on the show that are heavily stocked and they all have automatic fish feeders on them. Once Bill was recording a show and he was fishing from an aluminum jon boat and a fish feeder went off next to him and started slinging fish food pellets everywhere and all you could here was Ping..Ping..Ping from the pellets hitting the aluminum boat. That was funny as hell. They cut that part out of the show. It's just sad that Ike made it that far then blew it! With Ike out of the competition, I think the sticks to really watch are KVD, Terry Scroggins, Aaron Martens, Dean Rojas and Tim Horton.....

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
I dont think BASS is done with Ike... You cant watch a BASS center without them mentioning Iaconelli, even Byron Velvick made a joke and called it Ike Center the other day.

But I have been known to be wrong. (way to much actually :p )

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, here is the latest scoop Walking Eagle. The pole he detroyed was a light pole on the back of his boat with a flag on it which is considered safety equip, which is a violation. When he opened his livewell and found two dead fish, he started cursing very badly. He was only disqualified for that one days weight. He is trying to decide if he will continue with the tournament Sat or not. He says he feels like he is being targeted. He did set a new BASS record today though, the only angler to ever be disqualified twice!(He was also disqualified in 2004, the year that T. Omori won). He is going to try an appeal and is consulting with his attorney now. He still brought the fans to their feet more than any other angler at weight-in. The were waving banners and signs in support of Ike. More to come.........

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
I think he is being targetted, to an extent, and he needs to be. You have to be resposible for your actions, especially when you are a high profile role model like him. Look at how many kids idolize him, when they see him throwing a tamptrum, cursing and breaking stuff, what kind of message does that send to the kids?

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Well he is back out fishing again, trying to make the cut. Its still possible, he is one of the few that can. (if he can keep them alive) :p

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
I'm glad I'm not the only one dissappointed by Mike's outburst. Normally he has 20-30 spectator boats following him around, today he has 0. (so far)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
He doesn't know what happened with the livewell situation. He could of hit the switch with his knee when he was getting in the console or maybe it just malfunctioned---he was not sure what happened. There are some guys popping some big pigs at this tournament. Last year when KVD won, it was the record for the lowest winning weight-in in BASS history.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
2-3 weeks ago I was listening to Jim Rome and they where going through the top 10 hated athletes and Ike made the list, if I remember he was 7 . That just cracked me up that a fisherman is thrown in with all the big name sport guys. Personally I think the guy is a complete embaresment and moron, but look at the money he makes for standing out.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I agree with you Trout! He is sort of the Dennis Rodman/Romanowski of fishing...Ha...Ha...Ha! He is really a nice guy in person and very very nice and appreciative to his fans. He expresses himself differently than most people. A good example was the stunt he pulled yesterday. But, the guy is funny as hell! I have seen him get exited about catching a fish and do a full handstand off the front of the boat during the tournament! That really pisses the older bass vets like Denny Brauer and Larry Nixon off because they have never seen such activity in the bass tournament world. They have never seen a guy show up to a tournament with a shirt with flames all over it either. He makes an a$$ out of himself all the time, but the guy is an incredible stick and has the ability to make up for his lost weight yesterday. I think he is a combo of Rodman--for drawing attention to himself, Romo---for his toughness and dedication and Shannon Sharpe--for the way he talks trash.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
All I have to judge the guy on is what I see on TV and he's an ass. But I do give him credit for bringing so much attention to himself which in turns brings the money.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It kind of makes you wonder if all of the attention and controversy is worth the money though?? People who don't even fish are watching the guy and obviously he is very well paid. I think I would rather sit back like a Denny Brauer type guy, who is very outspoken but does not create problems everywhere he fishes. Guys like Denny are kind of hard-nosed and straight forward, but they have to experience and chamionship titles to back it up, Ike has not earned that status and from the way he is going, he never will......Just my 2 cents....

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
I see him as the Happy Gilmore of Bass fishing. But then again, Happy Gilmore was a movie and not real life. He can be passionate and should be but his behavior for his own mistake tells a story that can be frightening.

I hope all the dads and moms who encouraged thier kids to fish and told them when they catch a big bass ( I have actually seen this), "give me a big Mike Iaconelli yell!" Put things into the correct perspective when they see this on TV.

Dan

·
Registered
117 Posts
Ike may not be the guy we all want to fish with but the bottom line is this,Iaconelli is a Very passionate angler and a tough competitor for that i have alot of respect for its easy when you are such a competitive angler and you are at the super bowl for fishing that when you see two dead fish in your livewell, Well lets just say im glad they dont have camras when im out fishing >:D

James

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I agree Burn-n-daylight!! I think i might have flipped out a bit as well. Tomorrow will be an interesting day. KVD moved from 50th place to 12th place. He has the ability to do that 4th quarter Elway thing and make up for a lot of yardage quick! Here are the standings after they cut 26 anglers.

1 Luke Clausen
2 Ron Shuffield
3 Terry Scroggins
4 Preston Clark
5 Rick Morris
6 Kevin Wirth
7 Edwin Evers
8 George Cochran
9 Jeff Coble
10 Skeet Reese
11 Larry Nixon
12 Kevin VanDam
13 Jeff Kriet
14 Davy Hite
14 Jay Yelas
16 Jimmy Johnson
17 Mark Tucker
18 Rick Clunn
19 Gerald Swindle
20 Aaron Martens
20 Scott Rook
22 Dean Rojas
23 Tommy Biffle
23 Greg Hackney
23 Ishama Monroe

The last three guys are tied for weight. Out of my predictions on who will win, I picked 5 anglers and 4 of them made the cut. This is going to be a tough one this year, but I am thinking either Scoggins or Clark???

1 - 20 of 74 Posts