Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year I waited too long to switch to a cordless drill setup, all of the Clam plates were sold out. Still unavailable, one site I looked at said "available in October". Looks like they are going to be popular again and anyone looking to make the switch would probably want to keep checking before the season starts. But, good news is that the Milwaukee 2703-22 Brushless drill kit, which no one had for less than $280 last winter, can be bought on ebay now for $235. Just ordered mine. This is the big one, with 1,200 in-lbs peak torque and 2 5 amp hour batteries.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Shop around and you could of got a better price, I got the same kit for $170.50 total. He had more that sold for around the same price last time I looked.

Milwaukee 2704-22 M18 Cordless Li-Ion 1/2" Hammer Drill/Driver Tool Kit XC5.0
Milwaukee-2704-22-M18-Cordless-Li-Ion-1-2-034-Hammer-Drill-Driver-Tool-Kit-XC5-0
Item Sold
Item condition:New
Ended: Jun 24, 2017 , 9:29PM
Winning bid:US $141.50
[ 24 bids ]
Shipping: $29.00 Standard Shipping
Item location:Louisville, Kentucky, United States
Seller:
shop-wit-me (219 )

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Milwaukee-2763-20-M18-Cordless-1-2-Square-Ring-Drive-Impact-Wrench-BareTool-NEw-/282634889668?hash=item41ce5a29c4:g:92AAAOSw9OFZI4-g

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-MILWAUKEE-M18-FUEL-Drywall-Screw-Gun-Kit-Model-2866-22CT-/282634898052?hash=item41ce5a4a84:g:he4AAOSwtIBZqfdH

Found this on Craigs list;

https://denver.craigslist.org/spo/d/clam-ice-auger-drill-plate/6288347230.html

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not the same thing. The first link was a 700 in-lbs torque instead of 1200 and no batteries or charger. Second link was a drywall screw gun.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Yeah I guess I should of looked closer, I just looked at the Milwaukee stuff that the guy I bought from. The one I bought has 1200 torque and 2 5ha batteries. Looking around $235 is about what they are going for now.
Did you check about the Clam plate? I've seen them on Craigslist a couple of times.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looked around every place I checked is out of them. I want to buy new, don't want to take a chance on one from Craigslist to save a few bucks.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
I'm using a rigid drill with four amp hour batteries. and also elected to just go with the drill adapter rather than the full clam plate.course I'm not using it in the mountains there I still use the gas auger but down here seems to work just fine.

·
P I K E
10,116 Posts
yeah, saw the price and figured you would wait! Can't believe this is the only one out there on the market right now!

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wouldn't be surprised if they sell out again this year and you won't be able to get the 2703-22 drill for less than $280, just like last year. I haven't seen one work yet but from what everyone is saying it's the coming thing. It's a lot for a drill, but we use a lot of Milwaukee cordless tools at work and those things last forever!

·
Registered
1,952 Posts

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Those orange nils get a lot of respect on ice forums, but pricey and a little hard to find now. Saw one ad for replacement blades for $60!
Now I have to think about an 8" auger, have a couple hand augers but they're 6". Thinking about getting a Strikemaster 8" hand auger just for the shaft and blades. I take it any hand auger is tough enough to use with a drill?

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
We've had orange 6" Nils for five seasons now... This winter we'll be number six. Hand drilled for the first four and finally made the jump to a Milwaukee and used that the past two seasons. Never had to sharpen or replace the blades. Take care of the auger and you're good! This year, I might snag a 7" Lazer.... Then I might be shopping for a Clam plate as well. 😂😂😂

·
Registered
48 Posts
Those orange nils get a lot of respect on ice forums, but pricey and a little hard to find now. Saw one ad for replacement blades for $60!
Now I have to think about an 8" auger, have a couple hand augers but they're 6". Thinking about getting a Strikemaster 8" hand auger just for the shaft and blades. I take it any hand auger is tough enough to use with a drill?
8 inch hand augers are really a beast and not worth it, IMO. I have owned 2, and once they are anything past brand new, cutting more than 6 inches of ice becomes quite the chore.

I primarily use a 6 inch Strikemaster Lazer that can drill through 20+ inches of ice over and over again, no problem. It is the only hand auger I would recommend at this point. I will be adding the Clam plate to it this winter though, once they are back in stock.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hmm, maybe I will just get a 7". I never have caught anything thru the ice that wouldn't fit thru 7". I don't fish for big lakers, never got the urge. 8" augers with a drill don't work that well?

·
Registered
16,631 Posts
I think an 8" will work with the new 1200 in lb m-18.

But I got a 13lb pike at 11-mile last season thru a 6" hole. NO problem-

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Gander had the new version clam plate for $26 when they started the closing sale in parker! I should have bought all 4 of them instead of just 1!

1 - 20 of 114 Posts