Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I was out at Chatfield ... taking my boat out for the 1st trip for the year....

Caught a few fish... Broke a Rod :( and messed up my Trolling Motor ....

Anyway ...... I had been there for a couple hours when we (Me and FistFullaFish) decided to head across the lake when the trolling motor "Self Deployed" at about 40MPH I was pretty upset and thought for sure it was toast.

I did a quick search on the web to see if i could get parts but didn't really see anything.

I posted up on another forum and luckily mrwigglestheworm came through with a place that has parts:

http://www.northlandmarine.com/MinnKotaQuickRef.htm#anchor_top

Thanks Ken I owe you!!

Anyway I started to tear into it yesterday/today and was surprised at how easy it was to disassemble ...

I figured I would post up some pics of the process.. Maybe it will help someone in the future to have the confidence to get it done and save some $$$

The damage:

Step one for me was to pick a spot in the basement where I knew it wouldnt get messed with so i could take it all apart and see what was all damaged.... And leave it dissembled until the parts come in.

After that I pulled off the side covers from the base... Was 2 philips heads screws on either side to remove the covers and the Auot Pilot

After that it was just a couple little snaps and I had the cover off..... 4 wires with quick disconnects after that to remove the cover completely:

Then off to pull the head off.... 4 screws to pull the cover off.... Disconnect 2 quick disconnect wires and then 1 screw to completely remove the head(Some weird thing inside that is full of water hmmm... )

After that I just had to loosen the screw on the shaft lock and slide it off.(you know the one that would have prevented all this from happening if I would have just used it)

Then I slid off the damaged housing assembly and was pretty close to being done

Here is the damaged housing:

I still had to get the pin out...

being it was so bent I had to use a hack saw but it cut pretty easily:

After looking at the Serial Number I was able to determine it was a Wedless Wedge 2007 WW= Wedless Wedge A= 0 H=7

After looking over everything as far as i can tell(fingers crossed) I only damaged the housing and the Pivot pin.

The holes that the pin go through look alright considering:

The housing goes for $96 and appears to be the entire thing making it so i do not have to disassemble that part any further... I hope

And the Pivot Pin comes in a kit with the Pivot Pin, Latch Pin, Speed nuts, and Pad supports... $20

Seem pretty straight forward on installation:

I am about to place the order for the parts but it's only going to be about $130 shipped :)

Re-assembly seems like it will be just as easy if not easier so i am expecting to have it back together in less than an hours once I get the parts.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I woulda thought the shaft would have bent. I have hit the throttle a few too many times with the troller down (few too many you know what also). Never had a self deployment, that must have been interesting to deal with at 40 mph.

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I was worried the shaft would be bent as well but it doesn't appear to be. I was also worried that the bow of my boat may have gotten damaged but it didn't.... Sure makes me glad a put the extra reinforcement when I installed the mounting plate!!

Not long before that I was fishing pretty shallow so I had lifted the motor up about half way to prevent hitting rocks.... I'm glad I had not readjusted it back down yet! That probably helped to save the shaft and maybe my bow.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Geez...
A lot worse than when I forget about My drift Socks... >:D

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
You may want to inspect the shaft a lot closer. With the force required to bend that pin there is possibly a "greenstick fracture" of the shaft. The fibers can flex to the point of splintering lengthwise and it may require flexing the shaft again to see the damage.

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
Sucks, but well done on the repair...

·
Registered
803 Posts
A while back somebody had their trolling motor deploy driving down the highway. Not going to mention any names;)

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
A while back somebody had their trolling motor deploy driving down the highway. Not going to mention any names;)
Yeah, Self Deployment happens. Happened to me going down Crow Hill! "So THAT'S what that sliding collar thing is for." :rolleyes: The asphalt ground the shark fin on the bottom of the motor (skeg) right down to the housing. :'( Didn't see a new one of those on the Northland site. . . Motor still works though.

The water-filled device you found is the control mechanism for the co-pilot. It's like a carpenter's level. Nice when it works but I found it unreliable at times. Glad to be rid of it.

Hey Ricky, time to do an I-pilot upgrade while you have it all apart! :cool:

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Yeah, Self Deployment happens. Happened to me going down Crow Hill! "So THAT'S what that sliding collar thing is for." :rolleyes: The asphalt ground the shark fin on the bottom of the motor (skeg) right down to the housing. :'( Didn't see a new one of those on the Northland site. . . Motor still works though.
Albow, if you wanted, you could get one of these..

http://www.raptorfishing.com/raptorskeg.html

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got the parts in today $130.52 Shipped (Upgraded to 3-5 Day shipping would have been about $7 less if i went with 7-10 day)

Installation was 25 minutes including the time it took to Clean up the base a little and removing the pin pads :) I took my time too so could have been 15 minutes easy.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts