Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have one? I have built up about a dozen spots on PLO that are now My Milk Run so to speak. Spots where I can find and catch walleye's most every day. That way you can blaze from one spot to the next with a client till you hit pay dirt! Only problem is lowering and lifting the motor dozens of times a day!

When I first saw the Ulterra advertised all I could think was there is something that will break and become a constant drain. I was pulling up my Terrova the other day and got hit by a wave and slipped. Got me to thinking about the Ulterra again?

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
i would give it some time yet neal. the last time they made the genasis minnkota it endedup being a peice of junk, think of it as exercise and you dont have to pay a gym membership fee! let me know if you do it, I may need a terrova , picked up a 1990 pro v dlx.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i would give it some time yet neal. the last time they made the genasis minnkota it endedup being a peice of junk, think of it as exercise and you dont have to pay a gym membership fee! let me know if you do it, I may need a terrova , picked up a 1990 pro v dlx.
I love my Pro V but the original owner did two things I need to change. He lived in SD and bought it new in 2012. He was a back troller, so he used the kicker alot. At 19.5 feet it is a wind magnet! He also chose a two bank battery charger, instead of the three it is designed for. My Terrova is only 80 lbs thrust and eats up battery charge fairly quickly when I am constantly catching alot of wind. So if I get the Ulterra and increase thrust i will need to add another trolling battery and a three bank charger also.

I will sell the Terrova when I can afford to do all this.

·
Registered
16,692 Posts
I was gonna get one last year but I always have someone in the front to deploy and stow the Terrova! Why pay $500 extra for something I get for free?

·
Registered
803 Posts
I was gonna get one last year but I always have someone in the front to deploy and stow the Terrova! Why pay $500 extra for something I get for free?
Yup, and you have people drill your ice holes and carry your auger. Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free LOL.

·
Registered
24,633 Posts
Nope one thing I can say Slayer is a Star Wars one man ice Jawa...out there with Goon yesterday...looking at the previous day's icehole carnage...I coined the term Slayer Cheese...he drilled more holes than the 147 members of the South Park Junkie Gypsy team...I realized yesterday I am like JustFish (Scott) I like my relative solitude...no offense to anyone...actually its my wife's fault...I have learned to appreciate peace and quiet...

·
Registered
939 Posts
I have a Terrova, but my dad just purchased the ulterra for his Lund last year. The convenience is VERY nice. He hasn't had any issues with it at all yet. And when he gets the boat out he loves to show it off, so it's been put to the test hundreds of times. He hasn't done the boat dunking like in the commercial yet!

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have a Terrova, but my dad just purchased the ulterra for his Lund last year. The convenience is VERY nice. He hasn't had any issues with it at all yet. And when he gets the boat out he loves to show it off, so it's been put to the test hundreds of times. He hasn't done the boat dunking like in the commercial yet!
Yeah i don't want to take it to that extreme either. I just want to be able to blast from one way point to another, drop my Spot Lock and see who is home!

If i average a conservative 10 days a month this year on the water? That is 120 days of pulling up the motor and lowering it constantly. From April thru September it will be more like 20 days a month. It is also a safety thing with me! i have a really bad left knee and I love the idea of not having to mess with it!!

·
Registered
939 Posts
It sounds like you already talked yourself into it Neal. You will love it. It makes moving spots an absolute breeze.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It sounds like you already talked yourself into it Neal. You will love it. It makes moving spots an absolute breeze.
So far I haven't heard a single negative thing about them. I watched a guy use his along a stretch of flooded timber at the Big Mac tourny last summer and it was pretty slick!!

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
neal saw a post on walleye central , some guy bought one tackle wharehouse $1900, not bad, something about price matching sportsmans guide price

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have one and absolutely love it. The only down side, I have found, is unable to utilize a size scan transducer on it. not a big deal, as I have units networked.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts