Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Minnkota Powerdrive V2, 55 pound thrust, on my 16' Lund. I bought the boat from a friend of my dad's in 2012, and he never used the motor. I haven't put a ton of hours on it, but I am learning to use it more.

The motor has the "autopilot" feature, and on my trip yesterday it decided it no longer wants to work. I tried two different batteries, both of which were fully charged, and it won't hold on course - keeps making unnecessacary adjustments, and won't hold a line.

Is there any troubleshooting for this?

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
I have a Minnkota Powerdrive V2, 55 pound thrust, on my 16' Lund. I bought the boat from a friend of my dad's in 2012, and he never used the motor. I haven't put a ton of hours on it, but I am learning to use it more.

The motor has the "autopilot" feature, and on my trip yesterday it decided it no longer wants to work. I tried two different batteries, both of which were fully charged, and it won't hold on course - keeps making unnecessacary adjustments, and won't hold a line.

Is there any troubleshooting for this?
It might have been where you were.. On occasion with my old auto pilot, it struggled. The other thing you may check is the amount of gunk in the foot pedal housing. This is the plastic trough of plastic that holds the foot pedal. If you go to aurora or other places with real sandy dirt/sand, it's super vulnerable to getting muck in there and making your connections mess up. Solution to this is either the hard way (take off foot pedal and clean with fresh water) or the easy way (spray water in and around the foot pedal).

I doubt this is the issue but it's possible. I have an extra top piece for an auto pilot. I took it off my terrova when I upgraded to ipilot... if it fits, you can have it if that is the issue or if you want to test that piece.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Sounds like your main board is going out. Soon you won't be able to steer at all. I've been through it 4 times before they figured it out, same symptoms every time. Be prepared, it's a $400 fix. Have them check the steering motor also as it was the cause of all 4 of my boards going out. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Those are good motors but the electronic add on autopilot/copilot modules can be problematic. You can bypass by pluggging in the footpedal directly.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It might have been where you were.. On occasion with my old auto pilot, it struggled. The other thing you may check is the amount of gunk in the foot pedal housing. This is the plastic trough of plastic that holds the foot pedal. If you go to aurora or other places with real sandy dirt/sand, it's super vulnerable to getting muck in there and making your connections mess up. Solution to this is either the hard way (take off foot pedal and clean with fresh water) or the easy way (spray water in and around the foot pedal).

I doubt this is the issue but it's possible. I have an extra top piece for an auto pilot. I took it off my terrova when I upgraded to ipilot... if it fits, you can have it if that is the issue or if you want to test that piece.
Thanks Oyey. I was at Steamboat Lake, never had trouble up there. I don't think it is the foot pedal, as that is not permanently mounted. It is stored under cover in the bow when not in use, then either moved to near the bow casting chair, or the helm, depending on what I am doing.

I appreciate the offer on the top piece, will look into that route.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like your main board is going out. Soon you won't be able to steer at all. I've been through it 4 times before they figured it out, same symptoms every time. Be prepared, it's a $400 fix. Have them check the steering motor also as it was the cause of all 4 of my boards going out. Good luck.
Not real interested in spending $400 to fix this. Probably would be wiser to just upgrade.

Those are good motors but the electronic add on autopilot/copilot modules can be problematic. You can bypass by pluggging in the footpedal directly.
Dad love to troll, and that autopilot is invaluable when doing that - I can help him out, untangle my line, and get a little work done while on the boat. Didn't appreciate the feature when I got it, now not sure I want to live without it.

Look for a new thread coming for suggestions on what to upgrade to. Just have to convince the wife that this is only a couple hundred dollar proposition. Since it is Christmas time, I keep her away from the credit card statements, so might be the time.

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
I have had that happen twice on mine..... Quick unplug and plug back in resolved it luckily!! I sure hope it does not start happening frequently! :( I cannot afford a new motor.. or even a used on lol

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I tried unpligging a few times throughout the day. Also changed batteries. No luck getting it to work.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Not real interested in spending $400 to fix this. Probably would be wiser to just upgrade.
I would just ugrade to the i-pilot. There are deals to be had for around $400. You'll be much happier than trying to fix the autopilot.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
If you decide on a new motor I will take your foot pedal! Got a v2 motor from a customer in casper but need a foot pedal to see if it works!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts