Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Terrova 80 iPilot quit working this weekend.

Batteries are fully charged.

Worked ok for two days, third day, not so much.

The unit barely has enough power to turn the head.

Hardly moves the boat, even at a power of 7. (Boat is a 16' Lund).

Shuts off when I try to put it on 10.

Any ideas of parts that might need replaced?

No, I don't want to resort to buying Tony's motor. :)

·
Registered
16,622 Posts
IF batts are indeed good, then wiring may be compromised somewhere between batts and unit. Otherwise you're fugged Im thinking-

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Didn't those motors have a problem with water leaking into the lower unit, causing rust to build up on the windings and armature? Could be full of water..just a thought.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
You have a new battery for your remote, right? Just checking, it's a new season and your battery from last season may be on it's last legs if you haven't changed it out yet. Walgreens has the correct one, Auto parts stores usually don't.

Check to see if you might have got some line caught up and wrapped around under the prop blade. It can melt in there (mono) and may cut and damage the seal (braid).

·
Registered
574 Posts
I had similar problems and ended up taking it to Christy's in Windsor. Took Robert a couple of weeks but $100 and It is working fine. I needed a new board.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice. I didn't check the battery in the remote but I will change it out. I could also try the foot pedal (that I have never used).

I'll take the prop off and look in there.

Im not sure how to check for water in the lower unit. Should be sealed?

I think the wiring from the batteries is good.

I don't want to buy another unit. I might call the guy in Windsor. Looks like Crowley services them too now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
That would suck if you have to get into it to that level, but it is doable.

Might have to clean the battery wiring connections with a scotchbrite pad or steel wool until metal is shiny. I'm always surprised (every year) when that works.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Ryan,

When I had a problem with my Terrova, I tried to call the guy up north several times and never received an answer or a call back. It was suggested that I work with John Bonner who provides MinnKota warranty work in Colorado Springs. He was very responsive and dealt with my problem quickly. He even lent me his own remote to use in the interim. There can be a problem with the spring tension for the battery in the remote which results in the battery losing contact. My remote was replaced under warranty.

MinnKota Repair
John Bonner
1323 W Bijou St
Colorado Springs, CO 80909
719-661-4245

The drive to the Springs should be equivalent for you vs heading up to Windsor.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
John fixed my Minn Kota many years ago... He's a good dude and def knows those units.

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
I know that John replaced the shaft on Jeff's when it broke. He did a good job. And as mentioned, Jeff had to replace his battery in the remote recently and had to bend the battery contacts out a bit in order to get power.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I spoke to the person in Windsor. From the way I described the issues, he thinks it could be a power issue (Slayers idea as well).

When I get home I will look for fuses. My FIL has a boat with the same motor. I will also take over and put it on his boat and see if it works. If it does, I will focus on the wiring/battery. If not, I will need someone to take a look.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So, the one inline fuse looks fine. I plugged the charger in this morning, and this afternoon, it says full charge.

I tried running the motor, and today everything seems to work. It will go all the way up to 10, and turns pretty easily.

Maybe I should load test the batteries?

Is there a limit to the amount of time I should run it out of the water?

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No. But you do not want to run it at full speed under no load all night. Don't ask me how I know.

Thanks. So, do you think running it say an hour at 5 is ok?

Just trying to simulate on water experience.

I need to take the boat to get it decontaminated some time this week. I'll have the batteries tested then as well.

·
Registered
16,622 Posts
No load wont tell you anything. Put it in a barrel of water.

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
Bionic Man,

Dave is right, the Terrovas with the universal sonar fitting used to have an issue 3 or 4 years ago on those models...I think Don in Denver and maybe bernie had that issue...

I saw this yesterday and didnt respond...I was going to mention slayers idea and put a cooler of water under it that you can fit the prop unit into...

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
I replaced my two trolling motor batteries this year. My old ones would still charge to 100%, but they just didn't move me around very well. Thought my motor was giving me problems. New batteries and it's as good as new. If it's the case, Cosco has the larger Interstate batts for $79 bucks plus core.

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
Did that clearance one i got you from gander ever die dave?

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Bionic Man,

Dave is right, the Terrovas with the universal sonar fitting used to have an issue 3 or 4 years ago on those models...I think Don in Denver and maybe bernie had that issue...

I saw this yesterday and didnt respond...I was going to mention slayers idea and put a cooler of water under it that you can fit the prop unit into...
If that is the case, all is not lost. I think I remember Travis having that same problem. He took it apart, cleaned it up, resealed and it worked just fine.

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Did that clearance one i got you from gander ever die dave?
One died a couple of years ago. The other still charges...just doesn't have enough oomph. I still used it to jump the lawn tractor the other day. Not bad though...probably seven years and two Trojans for $100 bucks for the pair. You definitely got me my money's worth.

How's Diane doing?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts