Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone help me find documentation that shows the procedure for ANS inspections at State Parks in relation to live bait?

I did not have a receipt so they made me dump them out. I asked to have them decontaminated instead and I got pistol whipped (verbally) by the gun toting rangers. LOL ::)

I've got a call into Gene Seagle in Administration, but maybe someone here can link me to the information I need.

Thanks

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Slimer said:
Yep, must have receipt with a stamp on it during inspection. Yet shore fisherman don't get inspected.
Reference?

What happens if you don't have a receipt? What if the receipt is 8 days old?

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
tailhook said:
EricCO said:
I asked to have them decontaminated instead and I got pistol whipped (verbally) by the gun toting rangers. LOL ::)
What exactly is a "verbal" "pistol whipping"? LOL
That's what I call dramatizing and exaggeration for entertainment purposes. Because they were actually very apologetic, polite, and cordial as was I. LOL

·
Registered
7,407 Posts
In accordance with ANS (aquatic nuisance species) regulations and Division of Wildlife laws, all live bait must be purchased from an authorized Colorado bait dealer and must be accompanied by a receipt dated within the last seven days. It is also unlawful to transport live bait across state lines without an import permit.
I'd imagine you either can't use them or they can confiscate/destroy your aquatic bait. I will only fish with aquatic live bait one or two times after I buy minnows and it never is more than 8 days old, so I have no worries in that regard.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Slimer said:
In accordance with ANS (aquatic nuisance species) regulations and Division of Wildlife laws, all live bait must be purchased from an authorized Colorado bait dealer and must be accompanied by a receipt dated within the last seven days. It is also unlawful to transport live bait across state lines without an import permit.
I'd imagine you either can't use them or they can confiscate/destroy your aquatic bait. I will only fish with aquatic live bait one or two times after I buy minnows and it never is more than 8 days old, so I have no worries in that regard.
I spent a considerable amount of time looking through the documentation available, and I cannot find where they can make you dump out your minnows. It only speaks about decontaminating them.

I'm always on the look out for the gov't violating our Bill of Rights which is why this is worth discussing.

·
Registered
7,407 Posts
EricCO said:
Slimer said:
I spent a considerable amount of time looking through the documentation available, and I cannot find where they can make you dump out your minnows. It only speaks about decontaminating them.

I'm always on the look out for the gov't violating our Bill of Rights which is why this is worth discussing.
I'd imagine decontamination involves boiling them.

worst case, go buy one more dozen from the same shop and get a new receipt. You are good to go then.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
ERIC.... If I remember correctly, you must provide a receipt for thier usage... and then it has to be within 10 days from purchase.
What lake were you at?
Same deal with leeches, and I've gone round and round with these guys and the PARK manager where the incident takes place. At the time, they said they had no provision in place to answer My concerns.... as of yet. That was over two years ago. Still NO answer.
So, in essence, if you purchase, say, 5lbs of leeches from an out of state source, you have 10 days to use them. OR they must be destroyed / decontaminated.
I cannot find any print media to research these problems, either.
I fish Chatfield 3x or more a week.....
The gentleman I dealt with was Keith Kahler... park superintendent @ Chatty.
I did manage to find this tidbit, however....

http://youtu.be/Y5fD4T9TSNk

·
Registered
436 Posts
I'd imagine decontamination involves boiling them.
I have had minnows decontaminated at a state park.
I think the guy just rinsed them off with water from the lake.
He dumped out the water refilled it there and put the minnows back in.

·
Registered
988 Posts
The guys at chatty boiled up some water in their coffee pot and rinsed my bucket with it. Then they added some lake water and I was good to go. The process took about 30 mins but I wasn't complaining. Atleast I got to use the minnows.

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Use to trap and keep minnows all the time...now because of the restrictions I rarely use them anymore...60 mile round trip just to pick up minnows from monument.

·
Registered
24,497 Posts
I have showed them my old minnow receipt and told them I kept them alive in my garage since it was kewl and I changed the water...showed them my container of Start Right brand dechlorinator that I used tap water that doesnt contain zebra mussels...showed them my ANS sticker on my boat and could talk intelligently on the subject and then appealed to logic...with water clarity in my cooler (tap water) and using a cooler so no water gets in the lake...I am not putting them in the live well...its all how you talk and reason with people...

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
zman said:
I have showed them my old minnow receipt and told them I kept them alive in my garage since it was kewl and I changed the water...showed them my container of Start Right brand dechlorinator that I used tap water that doesnt contain zebra mussels...showed them my ANS sticker on my boat and could talk intelligently on the subject and then appealed to logic...with water clarity in my cooler (tap water) and using a cooler so no water gets in the lake...I am not putting them in the live well...its all how you talk and reason with people...
A little honey goes a long way

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
It's funny, because like DickSlimer said, shore guys don't have to have a receipt, but they can just as easily dump out their old water and put in new water from the lake...****, for that matter, I've seen people do that on the ice....

Anyway, seems to me if they wanted to make sure your water was clean they could have taken your minnows out of your bucket and "decontaminated" it like was stated by Fisher32.

Seems a bit over and above to just dump them... This INS stuff is damn near as bad as the TSA **** at the airport. I don't really have a solution/suggestion/answer to your problem, but it seems like you should be able to request proper documentation of policy, and if they can't provided it, you should be able to then request a supervisor.

Sucks that they dumped out your hard earned money... :-\

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
When aquatic bait is outlawed, then only outlaws will have aquatic bait. :-\

Guess I'll see how those Trigger-x (gulp style) leeches work out. . .

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
great video , I didnot know you needed a reciepe from a Colorado "BOAT" dealer to have live bait LOL, real quality production there Colorado state Boys! Like . said we cannot have live bait over here on this side, not that bad . Try some gulp minnows, dumbest looking thing you evry seen, no action.......catches everything ;D

·
Registered
24,497 Posts
I use Gulp all the time...sometimes minnows just work better for perch and crappies...

·
Registered
16,401 Posts
Oftentimes the minnow bucket is in my truck when I pull up to the inspection station. Dont put them in the boat till your ready to launch. No problem. ;)

1 - 20 of 63 Posts