Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
I am very fond of Gander Mountains minnows they are out of the way from chatty but I have had good luck with them being healthy and staying alive. I just wish that they would come with a catch a fish garentee(sp)
the last time I got some from there they were nice and big.

Ling Reader

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
I too think Ganders(Aurora) carrys really good bait. Im sure all the stores get them from the same vendor but the minnows at Country Valley Parker and Quicny are bad news. The minnows die in no time and the water smells like someone cut-ass in it.

IMO

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discount tackle has them on Sante Fe and Evans. That's a little far as well though. There is or was a store on Santa Fe across from Arapahoe Community college. I thought I heard they closed down though. I don't know if they had or have minnows though. Someone else might know.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Yah the store across from ACC has shut down. I live in the Chatfield area, and the closest spot for me to go is Dicount on Santa Fe and Evans. Its really not that far in comparison to what else is available.

D

·
0 Posts
CaptHook said:
There is or was a store on Santa Fe across from Arapahoe Community college.  I thought I heard they closed down though.  ....  Someone else might know.
It's gone.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Last year, I bought feeder goldfish from Walmart for about .10 each. They worked just fine. I got a disapproving comment from the cashier though, my purchase was goldfish, hooks, sinkers and bobbers.

Maybe if enough of us ask, they'll start carrying minnows in Walmart. They have aquariums, etc.

Never mind. I'd rather drive 10 miles and support a small business. Forget I mentioned it.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Yeah Bob Hicks who use to run the All Pro across from ACC closed the business and is actually working a Bass Pro. Last I talked with him he said that he had sold the business to his brother and that he might re-open it. I don't know if this is still the plan since I talked to him a while back.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I was in a PetSmart and saw they sold little fish tank minnows for about a dime a piece. They looked just like fatties. I don't see why those wouldn't work famously. You might check the regs on goldfish, though. I know when I was growing up in MN they were illegal as bait--don't know about these parts. I would have to think with their bright color they would be an almost unfair advantage.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
lake Michigan has a bad problem with coy and gold fish, I wouldnt want to see that happen here, oh yeah thats in addition to the bad problem they have with 5 different species of carp! if they arent illegal they should be regardless of whether they work or not,

·
Registered
55 Posts
I also noticed the Ruby Reds (feeder fish) at PetSmart. Well, they are fathead minnows.  If you look at the tag on the tank you'll see the genus/species name is Pimephales promelas --same as a fathead, they just come in a little different color. 

On a side note, how much do the bait shops out there charge and for how many minnows?  Last summer in South Dakota I paid $2.00 a scoop for minnows, which amounted to about a dollar a dozen for fatheads and about a dollar for 8 creek chubs.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Michael in Parker said:
Don In Denver said:
Goldfish are legal.  Just like a minnow.
Mmmm. I may I have to check into this. If gold fish are not illegal, I might try some goldfish for bait.
PLease DO NOT use gold fish for bait. All they are is golden carp. They seem to have diminished since the dredging that was done a few years ago, but Rocky Mountain lake in north Denver used to be lousy w/ large gold fish. There were also a number in Berkeley lake & I have caught them in Sloans lake. There are way too many carp in the lakes as it is without stocking them. If it isn't illegal it sure as he?? should be.

·
Registered
219 Posts
My bad. No more gold fish. I promise. Think I'll check out the fatheads at Pet city.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts