Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How 'bout a thread just to state (&/or discuss) sports-related opinions held by fellow CF'ers that represent a minority view? Could be fun & even thought-provoking. Here's all I ask:

- That the dissenting opinions posted be sincere -- ones actually held in good faith.
- That any disagreement expressed not trash the person.

C'mon, guys. I know you've got them! Search your mental files and throw 'em out there. Challenge comments if you wish; it's just sports, after all. Maybe you'll get someone thinking (like me). The board could use a shot in the arm lately. Let's toss some sticks on the campfire. :)

Anything whatsoever pertaining to sports is fair game. Use those keyboards.

Here's hoping ... (stuff to do today, but I'll check in every now & then)

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I’ll start:

IMHO, there are 4 players in the history of the NBA for whom a case can be made that they were the greatest of all-time. Here they are, in the order I personally would rank them (you’ll see it’s not the ‘accepted view’):

1) Earvin Johnson
2) Michael Jordan
3) Larry Bird
4) Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Hop said:
I’ll start:

IMHO, there are 4 players in the history of the NBA for whom a case can be made that they were the greatest of all-time. Here they are, in the order I personally would rank them (you’ll see it’s not the ‘accepted view’):

1) Earvin Johnson
2) Michael Jordan
3) Larry Bird
4) Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
1. Mike Jordan
2. Oscar Robertson
3. Bill Russell

in no particular order.

Magic is #4

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I would agree with list 2 for the great B-Ball players.

Hmmmmmmm..............What kind of trouble can I stir up??

I think John Elway is a MUCH better quarterback than Joe Montana. Everyone says how great Montana was, yada, yada, yada.........if you put John Elway on those 49'er teams with all that talent, he would have been the best quarterback ever.

49'ers= Roger Craig, Tom Rathman, Taylor, Rice, Lott, Stubblefield, Haley, Etc..............

Broncos= Winder, Wilhite, Vance Johnson, Riley Odoms, Etc............

I get tired of hearing how awesome MOntana was. He couldnt carry John's jock. ;D

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
I think the Raiders are moving towards something special. ;D

I disagree with the statement about Elway. Obviously. Id say that the Broncos had just as much talent as the 49ers, But didn't have a good enough QB to make them famous.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
The Situation said:

I disagree with the statement about Elway. Obviously. Id say that the Broncos had just as much talent as the 49ers, But didn't have a good enough QB to make them famous.
Hmmmmm...........I cant think of many people who would take Vance Johnson and Mark Jackson over John Taylor and Jerry Rice. Winder over Roger Craig? Riley Odom over Dwight Clark??

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Deuceu72 said:
The Situation said:

Hmmmmm...........I cant think of many people who would take Vance Johnson and Mark Jackson over John Taylor and Jerry Rice. Winder over Roger Craig? Riley Odom over Dwight Clark??
As for the WR's and RB... If you are going off of nfl stats, of coarse we'd know who would get picked first. But Im gonna say it was Montana and his talent which made them great. As for Riley Odoms? Im not sure the connection with Elway. His last year was the year Elway was drafted.

Lets look at it like this
Giants v. Broncos 39-20
Redskins v. Broncos 42-10
49ers v. Broncos 55-10

Montana was never embarrassed like that. But I guess I should say, this is just my opinion.

·
Registered
7,407 Posts
The Situation said:
Deuceu72 said:
The Situation said:

As for the WR's and RB... If you are going off of nfl stats, of coarse we'd know who would get picked first. But Im gonna say it was Montana and his talent which made them great. As for Riley Odoms? Im not sure the connection with Elway. His last year was the year Elway was drafted.

Giants v. Broncos 39-20
49ers v. Broncos 55-10

Montana was never embarrassed like that. But I guess I should say, this is just my opinion.
Montana only played in 4 super bowls. Elway has made 5.

Oooooh that ones gotta hurt.

:D :D

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
§limer said:
The Situation said:
Deuceu72 said:
The Situation said:

Giants v. Broncos 39-20
49ers v. Broncos 55-10

I dont like the 49ers lol Im a Raider fan....
49ers v. Broncos 55-10 <-- now that had to have hurt.

·
Registered
7,407 Posts
The Situation said:
§limer said:
The Situation said:
Deuceu72 said:
The Situation said:

Giants v. Broncos 39-20
49ers v. Broncos 55-10

Not old enough to remember it.

HOW YOU LIKE DEM APPLES?

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
§limer said:
The Situation said:
§limer said:
The Situation said:
Deuceu72 said:
The Situation said:

Giants v. Broncos 39-20
49ers v. Broncos 55-10

HOW YOU LIKE DEM APPLES?
lol then you should be thankful! Might I add Montana also won all 4 of his superbowls. lol when I was a kid, I had this joke which, I thought was pretty funny. It was... Why does Elways wife serve him breakfast on a plate? Because he always chokes in bowls.

·
Registered
7,407 Posts
The Situation said:
§limer said:
The Situation said:
§limer said:
The Situation said:
Deuceu72 said:
The Situation said:

Giants v. Broncos 39-20
49ers v. Broncos 55-10

HOW YOU LIKE DEM APPLES?
lol then you should be thankful! Might I add Montana also won all 4 of his superbowls. lol when I was a kid, I had this joke which, I thought was pretty funny. It was... Why does Elways wife serve him breakfast on a plate? Because he always chokes in bowls.
I gotta level with you. I remember the skins and 9ers losses, but barely remember the giants one.

Funny joke.

·
Registered
978 Posts
KVD is the greatest fisherman of any kind on the planet!! Elway-greatest QB and football player ever, Jordan-greatest basketball player ever,Ruth-the greatest baseball player ever, Gretzky-greatest hockey player ever, that little japanese guy-best hotdog eatin champion ever!!!

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
§limer said:
http://www.coloradofisherman.com/forum/index.php?topic=56383.0

1a. Hobie. This thread says it all. He's like 3x my age, and does 5x the crap I do on a regular basis.

The Situation said:

The 49ers did have just as much talent as the Broncos of 96, 97, and 98...when the Broncos were quite possibly the best NFL team of all time.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Opinion: I don't really like it when a player scores a touchdown (or whatever) and then drops to his knees and prays -- thanking God.

This might not be a 'minority' opinion (I don't know), but it's probably a minority view among Christians. I don't want to be too harsh on these well-meaning athletes (which I think many of them are), but it just rubs me the wrong way. I mean, what would you think of a real estate agent who did the same thing whenever he closed a deal? IMO the gratitude is admirable, but the expressing of it is misguided. Almost superstitious -- like when a boxer crosses himself before every round.

I'm not saying it is grounds for "hating on" a person, nor that there is never a time to reference one's faith, but I think discretion is called for. I think how a life is lived speaks more powerfully than how many TD's one scores. And what if the DB you just beat is also a believer?! :D BTW, (late) coaching great Tom Landry (also a committed Christian) expressed the same "mixed emotions" (his words) on this matter.

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
Hop said:
Opinion: I don't really like it when a player scores a touchdown (or whatever) and then drops to his knees and prays -- thanking God.

This might not be a 'minority' opinion (I don't know), but it's probably a minority view among Christians. I don't want to be too harsh on these well-meaning athletes (which I think many of them are), but it just rubs me the wrong way. I mean, what would you think of a real estate agent who did the same thing whenever he closed a deal? IMO the gratitude is admirable, but the expressing of it is misguided. Almost superstitious -- like when a boxer crosses himself before every round.

I'm not saying it is grounds for "hating on" a person, nor that there is never a time to reference one's faith, but I think discretion is called for. I think how a life is lived speaks more powerfully than how many TD's one scores. And what if the DB you just beat is also a believer?! :D BTW, (late) coaching great Tom Landry (also a committed Christian) expressed the same "mixed emotions" (his words) on this matter.
I would really like to expound this thought, but I'll just leave it at...I agree with you on this one, Hop. :)

1 - 20 of 101 Posts