Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the other thread sort of turned orange, but that's cool. Some good debates. How about any subversive sports opinions that don't have to do with the Bronc's?

We have a lot of sports insight represented on CF.com. Anyone not afraid to post a point of view that breaks ranks with the experts? Would be fun to hear. :)

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If a football player is going to grow/wear his hair down his back (like Troy Polamalu), I see nothing wrong with it being legal to tackle them by their mane. Serious. Otherwise, they gain an unfair advantage by covering up areas a defender could normally grab. The real solution: Can't wear your hair like that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVO93amUv7Y

·
P I K E
10,084 Posts
Top 5 all time Nascar drivers!
1) The Champ...Jimmie Johnson
2) The KING...Richard Petty
3) The Intimidator...Dale Sr.
4) I need a nickname...Jeff Gordon OK...I married a super model!!! ;D ;D ;D
5) Rowdy... Kyle Busch

Top 5 all time Nascar dirt bags!
1) The Sissie..Kurt Busch
2) Juan Pablo Montoya
3) Wish I had won at least one race legit...Derrick Cope!!!
4) Geoff Bodine
5) The Sissie...Kurt Busch

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Sports that I think should be more popular . . .

1) Roller Hockey

I know a few members on here play.. the Foguls do. I bought a flyrod from a guy who used to post on here FarmerTed (?) Nice guy (and also a Red Wings fan ;D) played in FOCO w/ him..
I've played for years. A season of roller hockey is a third the price of ice, and gear is cheaper. I use to (before kids) play at JBS in Greeley, ODs in Fort Collins, and still play at Hartmann Hockey in Boulder (which is nice because it's outside)

They used to have Roller Derby on espn or espnII w/ ramps behind the nets... ;D

2) Roller Derby
[img]
Punk Rock! 8) (not the best pic, but din't find a lot to choose from.. I think there is RD in FOCO, and I know they sometimes have it in Thorton (where the Rage used to play)?

3) Most Extreme Challange
[img]
LOVE the show! I think they should put up a MXC arena, and charge to go through a course. We take our kids to Jumping and Bounce, which are inflatable obsticle courses and slides for kids, they could do something on a larger scale...

Not the same, but similar.. also like the show Ninja Warrior
[img]

4) Slamball
[img]http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd265/jamesfs/slammy.jpg
Awesome to watch, probably even better to play! I remember an episode of King of Queens where Doug, andd his crew played. Wonder if there are any places to play in Colorado?

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bruce Gillis said:
Well , I think Mayweather is a good boxer but not one of the greats. The big names he has fought were all in the twilight of their careers. He doesn't want to step up to Pac Man. He will have the best career having never fought a true top contender. I think he has has amazing skills but lacks what a true boxer has,PRIDE. He misses that pride to be an undisputed Great one. Ali lost and still is considered as one of the best, the great ones all have lost because they fought the best. They were considered the best because in most cases they came back to put a whoopin on the guy who beat them.
Gillis, I was hoping you'd weigh in! Here's a quick response:

I agree with much of your Mayweather assessment. However, when you say that all the big names he beat were in their twilight, what about an undefeated Ricky Hatton? And though not the marquee name of, say, a De La Hoya, what about people like Castillo, Judah, & Marquez?

I am very puzzled by his behavior toward Pacquiao, however. Couldn't agree more about that. If he never fights him it will always tarnish his legacy -- unbeaten or not -- and deservedly so.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Okay who would hit the second and third one in from the left on the roller derby team. ;) Just putting it out >:D sorry zman but someone has to make sure your working.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Hop said:
If a football player is going to grow/wear his hair down his back (like Troy Polamalu), I see nothing wrong with it being legal to tackle them by their mane. Serious. Otherwise, they gain an unfair advantage by covering up areas a defender could normally grab. The real solution: Can't wear your hair like that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVO93amUv7Y
it is legal to tackle them by their hair if it hangs out of the helmet.

James - do you know Dumptruck?

Isn't dick trickle the greatest NASCAR driver by virtue of his name alone?

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
The Detroit Lions, perennial doormats since the Matt Millen GM era started, are winners of three in a row (including two on the road). I believe they're a player or two from being a dangerous team next year if they can keep Matthew Stafford healthy. I'm hopeful for them to have another good offseason with the draft and other acquisitions, then to put up a winning record next year. My opinion is that they have a good shot at it.

·
P I K E
10,084 Posts
Trout said:
Okay who would hit the second and third one in from the left on the roller derby team. ;) Just putting it out >:D sorry zman but someone has to make sure your working.
Bwahahahahahahaaaaa!!! Thought the same thing!!! >:D

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
To your misfortune, if you haven't already, you'll likely never experience watching on TV as a thoroughbred race horse wins the Triple Crown. I watched Secretariat demolish every other horse in the Belmont, even worse than he had in the Derby and the Preakness, and it was an amazing spectacle. Seattle Slew and Affirmed followed. Been a long drought since, and I don't think it will end while the readers of this thread are on this side of the grass.

I'm looking forward to seeing the Secretariat movie.

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
Trout said:
I bet you can get Slayer to dress like that on a Wyoming trip!...you wont even notice the sheep!...<snicker>

Hey you brought my name into it...dont blame me...

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
The most amazing U.S. Olympic moment in modern times wasn't the 1980 Miracle on Ice. It was Bob Beamon's gold medal long jump over a decade earlier. Just flat out shattered the world record, and he knew it the second he hit the sand. Came running out of the pit delerious with joy!

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
sswan said:
The most amazing U.S. Olympic moment in modern times wasn't the 1980 Miracle on Ice. It was Bob Beamon's gold medal long jump over a decade earlier. Just flat out shattered the world record, and he knew it the second he hit the sand. Came running out of the pit delerious with joy!
He was at altitude and had a tail wind...one of them changed an entire nation's outlook...youre right it isnt even close...

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
FunkMasterSnowshoe said:
it is legal to tackle them by their hair if it hangs out of the helmet.
Yep, as Berman mentions in the YT vid. Controversial w/many, though, as you can tell from the players' reaction.

Bruce Gillis said:
Judah had the skills to become very good but somewhere early he lost his marbles and became a strange boxer.
I'm sure this didn't help those marbles! ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2o7A3rMN6Co

Bruce Gillis said:
Castillo, I like but not on the top shelf.
Agreed, though on my card he outpointed Floyd in their first fight (115-112).

Bruce Gillis said:
Marquez was right on the edge of becoming great but Pac Man cut him down also,even though I think he beat Pac Man in the first fight.
Fun to bandy about different points of view, Danny. Personally felt Pacquiao beat JMM both times, and thought he was the one more robbed by the first draw than was Marquez. Many agree w/you, however. :)

Bruce Gillis said:
I think Mayweather's best fight was against Mosley ...
Gotta be. I was so impressed by him in that fight. Round 2 was a great one, but notice that Floyd showed he (like Pac-Man, btw) has a very good chin, which isn't talked about much. After that he just out-quicked the quick. Extremely superb display by FM. Totally agree.

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
zman said:
sswan said:
He was at altitude and had a tail wind...one of them changed an entire nation's outlook...youre right it isnt even close...
Mine's probably a minority opinion, which is the point of Hop's thread. I saw the long jump on TV over 40 years ago. Found this video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEt_Xgg8dzc

I didn't remember that his jump exceeded their capacity to measure it, and that it took a while to realize how far he'd jumped. Missed the Miracle on Ice--I was in a far off place with an M-16.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
James I will agree with you that roller hockey is a great sport. The one thing I will argue with you is that the equipment is cheaper. I played goalie for several years and a team mate of mine was clocked on the radar gun at 90 mph on his slap, I upgraded to ice gear to get the welts and bruises minimized. I had a breif shot to play for Denver Daredevils but didn't go for it. Sometimes regret that.

The sport though that I love to watch is indoor lacrosse. The game is fast paced rough and as a goalie a nightmare I would have loved to have tried my hand at. Best part is the players have a 9-5 job just like us, its only a part time job. Right now its my top sport to watch.

GO MAMMOTH IN 2011!!!!!

Dang I wish Gee could still play...

1 - 20 of 43 Posts