Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spent Friday afternoon, all day Saturday, and early Sunday morning at Miramonte here in Western Colorado. Fishing wasn't great but it wasn't bad either. Lots of 11 inch stockers to be had with some folks picking up some large browns.....just not me. Arrived around noon on Friday and thought it would be hard to find a camping spot - not the case. Had my choice of camping spots in the campground. Just windy as all get out while trying to put up my tent. Around 3 got on the water and fished from my pontoon with my flyrod till around 8 pm. Lots of 11 inch bobos brought to hand but released. Saturday fished from 8 to noon and then again from 4 till 8 pm. Again lots of bobos. Had to take an afternoon nap - you know how that is with us oldsters.

Actually I wasn't really that interested in fishing for anything in particular. When everything in your life is going south it is nice to get away and just spend time alone trying to forget everything. Enduring heartache, sorrow and mental stress gets overwhelming at times. This was (and still is) one of those times. Son in deep kimchee (or dodo if you prefer) with the law in Washington due to domestic violence and my wife who is super pissed off at the in-laws because they are trying to help their daughter who is the victim. Wife being pissed makes no sense but enduring her wrath at the whole situation leaves me a bit bewildered. So getting away from it all and just paddling around in my pontoon for a couple of days was very cathartic.

The water temps at the lake are right at 61 on Friday afternoon (cloudy and windy) then 62 degrees on Saturday with lots of sun and virtually no wind to speak of. Temps at night drop off significantly as there was frost on the truck, pontoon, and tent each morning. Nice to have a warm sleeping bag.

Sorry no pictures to post or reports of great fish slaughter but that wasn't the purpose of the trip. Fishing can be a real health pill when you need it. By the way, not all that many folks fishing the lake this weekend - must have been a zoo on Memorial day however.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sorry for your troubles friend. Life doesn't always work out the way we thought. But at least we have fishing. Is there decent shore fishing there? I don't have a boat, but I do have troubles of my own.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Hey pilot

Too bad about the personal situation and no words will change the emotions or case at hand, but, after sorrow comes happiness.

You are right about the fishing pill. I hadn't been able to get out for a bit and was getting irritable. Like you, I went fishing for several hrs Saturday and made a huge difference in my 'tude.

I'll try to post a report up when I get time.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Pilot: I was there Friday until about 5 but did not see your tune. We landed about 100 fish mostly bows but a few browns. CPW is overstocking the lake. Sorry about the domestic problems, but fishing is a good catharsis.
Did you run into Jerry?

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
First - there is lots of shore fishing to be had. Not that many crowds and even if there were there is lots of shore so crowding shouldn't be a problem.

Didn't run into anyone I knew. Did meet a new fellow that lives in American Village who was camping with his wife. Real nice couple. They had fair luck from the shore near the campground. Water level is pretty high. Most of the rock ledges are under water especially on the big island. Sorry I missed you guys. Have to agree that the lake seems to have seen lots of stocking as the 11 inch fish are pretty much scattered through the lake. I fished mostly along the north shore in 25 to 8 feet of water and then around the big island. Paddling with my flippers around the big island wore me out thus the afternoon nap on Saturday.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts