Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Decided on a whim to take a short trip to Miramonte for a quick fish fix. Got to the lake around 5:30 Wednesday evening. Took me about an hour to put up my tent due to the winds. (Normally takes me about 15 to 20 minutes). Kept watching the lake to see if it was worth the effort to launch my small pontoon. Nope - white caps and I am guessing around 30 knot winds. That kept up until around 8:30 that evening. By then I was too tired to launch (or just plain lazy) but probably should have.

Got up Thursday morning and had a quick bite to eat and then to the lake. Had been told that good size fish had been caught by the south point so I figured that is where I would troll around in the pontoon and see what I could come up with. From 7:30 to 9:00 am had pretty much the lake to myself with no winds. Caught several fish in the 16 to 17 inch range - mostly rainbows with one brown. At nine am the winds came up and it became impossible to stay near the south point, especially fishing in white caps and gale force winds blowing me to the north shore. Finally gave up around 11:00 after ending up in the middle of the lake and didn't feel like fighting the wind and waves to get back to the south shore line where I was having better luck.

Over all the trip was somewhat worth it as I did get some nice fish but fighting the winds was a real pain in the butt. Thought about spending another night but didn't feel like waiting from 11 am till 8 pm to get back on the lake. If you are on this side of the hills, take the opportunity to try Miramonte. There are some good size fish in the lake and it has rebounded nicely from the poisoning job the CPW did several years ago to kill off the smallmouth.

btw - no metal was used in the catching of the troutskies - unless you count the hooks the flies were tied on! Gotta josh you non-fly fishing types!

·
Registered
16,650 Posts
Just saying metal works VERY well in the wind Don't fight the wind, use it!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts