Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Due to the economic situation of this country, our entire family made a pact to buy nothing but American made products for gifts. All i can say is good luck! I figured it would be a little more expensive, but had no idea really how much stuff is not made here at all. So while shopping I was looking at tags. Carhartt i figured would be the way to go.........I was wrong. Alot of there stuff is made in Vietnam-WTF? Good luck if you have younger kids that want toys. I have yet to find a single toy or any other wish list item made here in th USofA. My mom is into canning-good news the jars and lids are made here. A handful of Carhartt clothes and canning jars is all i have found, very sad :(

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I'm on board with you on that. For an example Lincoln Logs...not made in the USA. But the brand X ones are at Bass Pro. I bought the brand X for the kids. This is nuts that you can't find much made here in the states! I need a new pair of shoes and a pair of boots. Well looking for two weeks I only found one maker so far that is still is in the USA. Justin Boots. Not Danner, not Rockys, not Georgia, not Columbia, not Ariat, not the store brand Cabelas or BPS shoes either :p.

We need to change that trend fast, cuz this sux IMO.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
anglin'archer said:
I'm on board with you on that. For an example Lincoln Logs...not made in the USA. But the brand X ones are at Bass Pro. I bought the brand X for the kids. This is nuts that you can't find much made here in the states! I need a new pair of shoes and a pair of boots. Well looking for two weeks I only found one maker so far that is still is in the USA. Justin Boots. Not Danner, not Rockys, not Georgia, not Columbia, not Ariat, not the store brand Cabelas or BPS shoes either :p.

We need to change that trend fast, cuz this sux IMO.
Ya i know right. I paid dearly for my Danners 2 years ago I just looked at the tag whe it was made.............China I felt robbed. I could have gone wally world and bought some boots made in china. Justins are still made here? i will head to Murdocks and check them out. If anyone else has any ideas please post them.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Another big disapointment.................... I own my own landscape buisness, I bought everything Stihl(weed eater, blowers chain saws etc.) That equipment is made in different parts of the world also.

The mowers i run are made in here-
2 walkers(Ft collins)
3 scags
2 commercial Toros are made here - The Toros at home depot and lowes are made in various asian countries

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
TheUkrainian said:
I'm surprised you are surprised...do you think the decline of US manufacturing is a recent phenomena?
No, just didnt think itwas as bad as i thought. I know we have hawked our souls to China, but i figured thre were some items made here.... Damn I have been an ignorant dumb a** thinking differently

·
Registered
163 Posts
I'm an engineer and work in the electronics industry. It's simply not economical to make stuff in the US. The company I work for is fortunate enough to have a manufacturing plant in California, but it's really hard to be cost competitive with foreign made products. So, we've been forced to have some of our stuff made in China. If we didn't we would be out of business.

IMHO, this is the direct consequence of two factors: 1. Americans want things priced dirt cheap. 2. Americans don't work hard enough on "menial jobs", and want too much pay for it.

Take an iPod, for example. The iPod Nano costs $150, and it's made in China. I estimate that the same product, if made in the USA, would cost $400-- and I'm not exaggerating.

So... If you want to buy products made in America then Americans need to either work harder for less pay or we need to pay more for what we buy. While we're at it, let's get some Americans to do the work that the illegal immigrant farm workers do. Yea, that'll be easy.

-David K

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
DavidK said:
I'm an engineer and work in the electronics industry. It's simply not economical to make stuff in the US. The company I work for is fortunate enough to have a manufacturing plant in California, but it's really hard to be cost competitive with foreign made products. So, we've been forced to have some of our stuff made in China. If we didn't we would be out of business.

IMHO, this is the direct consequence of two factors: 1. Americans want things priced dirt cheap. 2. Americans don't work hard enough on "menial jobs", and want too much pay for it.

Take an iPod, for example. The iPod Nano costs $150, and it's made in China. I estimate that the same product, if made in the USA, would cost $400-- and I'm not exaggerating.

So... If you want to buy products made in America then Americans need to either work harder for less pay or we need to pay more for what we buy. While we're at it, let's get some Americans to do the work that the illegal immigrant farm workers do. Yea, that'll be easy.

-David K
This

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
DavidK said:

-David K
Great idea but americans would rather sit on there @sses and get a free ride then actually do real work for low pay, nope keep buying from china 15 million americans out of work can't be wrong.

·
Registered
978 Posts
walleye seeker said:
thats why i ues triline xl , power pro and eagel claw hooks all made in USA and power pro and eagel claw are made in colorado
Power Pro is made in the US but it is spooled and packaged in Japan. Not sure how cost effective that is.

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
All things considered equal, I'll buy products made here if they're as good as foreign made products at the same price. I'm not willing to pay an "American made" premium, though.

Haven't purchased a UAW manufactured vehicle in a long time. If sweaters and toys were manufactured here, by unionized employees, you'd be paying a heckuva lot more for them.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts