Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MMM!!! Thank you elevenmile for the tasty honey glazed filets! Keep building ice so I can keep catchin fish!!! ;D ;D ;D

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I soak em overnight in a brine from the warehouse tuned up a little with garlic and a little more suger then i put them on the smoker for about 8 hrs and the last hour I brush on a glaze that I make with honey, butter, lemon juice & a little soy sauce!! They're really tasty! Oh ya and you have to use alder wood for your smoker its hard to find but that part is important! For me it's alder or nothing!!!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have always had a good time fishin the mile and also caught alot of good fish doing it!! On shore, from the boat or through a 10" hole in the ice I rarely go to elevenmile and not catch fish!! As far as the Ice most of the lake is locked up, may not all be fishable yet but good enough for me and my little fishin buddy to have a couple of successfull ice fishing trips there already this year and already a couple of nice fish landed!!! My boy already caught and released a nice pike, not a huge one we've caught bigger but just goes to show there are fish and there is ice @ the mile!!

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I thought really hard about the mile today. Just didn't think it would be safe enough for the rookie icer, I took up today. He weighs in at a touch below 250. Fished Tarryall and killed the stocker size MRT's. 6 hours of fishing and we landed around 70. It was insane.

I ran out of waxies at 11 and ended up catching a 19" pike and 14 other slimers with no bait. Just a tube.

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
Biggie Smalls said:
I thought really hard about the mile today. Just didn't think it would be safe enough for the rookie icer, I took up today. He weighs in at a touch below 250. Fished Tarryall and killed the stocker size MRT's. 6 hours of fishing and we landed around 70. It was insane.

I ran out of waxies at 11 and ended up catching a 19" pike and 14 other slimers with no bait. Just a tube.
Damn. We debated going there but ended up suffering at antero instead...

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
hawg seeker, I recently smoked fish with a friend who's semi-experienced in the art of smoking. It took about 80 minutes. The fillets were cooked all the way through and had a rich smokey flavor. If we had smoked 15 minutes longer they would have begun to dry out.

Obviously you're smoking at a way lower temperature if it's taking 8 hours. Does it really taste that much better with the slower cook? I can't imagine the fillets tasting any smokier than when we did it.

I'd love to hear your input.

·
Registered
61 Posts
hawg seeker - I rarely post, but read a lot here - however this post mandates me breaking out of my little private spot and posting some questions if you don't mind. 1. Approx what temp is your smoker running for 8 hours? 2. After smoking the fish, does it have to be refrigerated? I've heard that commercially smoked fish doesn't - but perhaps they're adding some preservatives or something that I wouldn't want anyway... 3. By "soak them in a brine from the warehouse" - is that a commercially prepared brine? The reference to "warehouse" has me scratching my head.

If you have the exact recipe for the glaze or the brine, I'm sure that I'm not the only one who would like to not have to recreate the wheel so to speak. Loved the beautiful and appetizing pics. Thanks for making me want to smoke our fish now! I would love to smoke the perch we recently got in Missouri, but the little buggers are whole, so the bones might be a bit of a nightmare after smoking... Drooling over your fish.... And thanks in advance for some answers!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Saw that you were at Suckers Cove at 11 Mile, that is where me and my cousin usually fish as well. What were they hitting on? Tube jigs? Rat Finkies? Swedish Pimples?

Once the ice gets a little safer we'll be heading to 11 Mile.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts