Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Those fillets look a lot better than mine, I murdered mine.

·
Registered
24,644 Posts
Looks like a lot of work...

Ronco if you filleted 254,520,532,574,463,414,674,907 fish a year for 40 years you would get good at it too!

·
Registered
11,849 Posts
Clean ass butcher... I approve

·
Registered
16,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Strange but I like filleting. The entire process took less than an hour. Super freekin sharp knife is the key-

·
Registered
11,849 Posts
Strange but I like filleting. The entire process took less than an hour. Super freekin sharp knife is the key-
I somewhat enjoy the process myself...and I def agree with a super sharp knife... I usually hit the iron during the process as well.

·
Registered
16,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
and a thin blade...
Well Duh-::)

I use the cheap wooden handle rapala u can buy at any wally world. The little plastic sharpener works great but it only lasts a couple years. So I just buy a new sharpener then.

I sharpen b4, during and after.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Well Duh-::)

I use the cheap wooden handle rapala u can buy at any wally world. The little plastic sharpener works great but it only lasts a couple years. So I just buy a new sharpener then.

I sharpen b4, during and after.
Nice haul. I use the same one. Works well. More operator error for me

·
Registered
16,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yah every fish I bring home gets filleted even the dog food ones.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
I prefer an Electric knife for heavy scaled fish if I'm skinning them, they do a good fast job.
No reason to scale them if your skinning them but I'm gonna scale and try this whole fish method on the next ones I get, less waste and I'm betting great tasting!! Panama style, the skin's the best part.

This picture is just before they go in the hot oil.

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
I normally just use my electric as well. But Slayer just has the wooden handle Rapala. I've tried filleting rough scaled fish with just a fillet knife, and it dulls them fast. So I was just wondering how he does it with just a knife.

·
Registered
16,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I normally just use my electric as well. But Slayer just has the wooden handle Rapala. I've tried filleting rough scaled fish with just a fillet knife, and it dulls them fast. So I was just wondering how he does it with just a knife.
Never have any trouble filleting perch or wallys or crappies. Knife doesnt get much duller than when filleting trouties.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts