Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
I swear both the NFL and the NBA have nothing to do with the actual game anymore - it's all about money. Salary cap! salary cap! salary cap!

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
If you are going to give the players a salary cap the owners need a limit too of what they can extort...oh I know they have all the risk...thats BS...there is about as much risk owning an NFL team and being profitable as there is in blowing up a balloon...why do you think they wont open their books...they dont want everyone to find out yeah the bottom line showed nearly no profit but that was after siphoning 20 million here to the sonny boy, 100 million to the wife...losing money my arse...

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Owner Bowlen apologizes to Broncos fans for labor problems
By Mike Klis
The Denver Post
Posted: 03/15/2011 01:00:00 AM MDT

Broncos owner Pat Bowlen (Denver Post file photo)With NFL business apparently on hold until April 6, Broncos owner Pat Bowlen sent an open letter to the team's fans Monday apologizing for the league's labor squabbles.

"You have every right to be disappointed and frustrated with the lack of a collective bargaining agreement," Bowlen wrote in the letter. "As owner of the Denver Broncos and co-chair of the NFL Management Council Executive Committee, I want to say that I share your level of frustration.

"I am sorry the negotiating efforts have yet to yield a new deal."

Bowlen repeated what team president Joe Ellis told The Denver Post during an interview Saturday, that a resolution to the CBA will occur through bargaining.

Problem is, at least from Bowlen's point of view, the labor dispute is not at the bargaining table but in litigation. The NFL Players Association decertified as a union Friday and filed an antitrust suit as individual players against the league in a Minneapolis courtroom. A court injunction that would hear the players' appeal to block the owners from a lockout won't be heard until April 6.

Essentially, that means the NFL is at standstill for the next 22 days.

Passing on Peterson?

The Broncos' football decision-making trio of John Elway, John Fox and Brian Xanders did not attend the pro day workout Monday of highly touted LSU cornerback Patrick Peterson.

The Broncos have the No. 2 overall pick on April 28 in the draft.

Although Peterson's all-around skills have been deemed worthy of the No. 2 overall pick, the Broncos figure to have more pressing needs than cornerback after they re-signed Champ Bailey to a four-year, $43 million contract last month and have two other starting cornerbacks returning in Andre Goodman and Perrish Cox.

Then again, the Broncos' brass of Josh McDaniels and Xanders did not attend the pro day workout of a Florida quarterback named Tim Tebow last year. The Broncos wound up drafting Tebow at No. 25 overall.

Mike Klis: 303-954-1055 or [email protected]

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_17614510?source=pop

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
I personally think that the owners operate with more than reasonable expectations as far as profit margins go...That's not how they make their money in the NFL...At least not all of it..

It's their equity positions ...that's where the money is made..

Bowlen paid 78 million in 84...current value of the franchise...just about a billion...For comparison..the Cowboys are worth 1.8 billion.

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
zman said:
If you are going to give the players a salary cap the owners need a limit too of what they can extort...oh I know they have all the risk...thats BS...there is about as much risk owning an NFL team and being profitable as there is in blowing up a balloon...why do you think they wont open their books...they dont want everyone to find out yeah the bottom line showed nearly no profit but that was after siphoning 20 million here to the sonny boy, 100 million to the wife...losing money my arse...
someone sees the whole picture...

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
Talk about extortion...I was reading a columnist on the new york post about the Knicks getting boo'ed and some of the comments...

From the New York Post...

A friend of mine just got his invoice fro next years tickets. He went from 8800 a year to 20,800 a year. Not sure if he will renew as he had a heart attack when he saw the invoice. What a joke. You know that Kid cable wont offer any refunds if Carmelo or Aamare get hurt and teh Knicks stink. then again they are not worth that kind of money now. Thats insane
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/knicks/knicks_fall_into_deep_boo_sea_Ry7Te1XSO0bpYYmD3lADbM?listcomments=true#comments

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
You have to remember athlete's for the most part are stupid people!!! They have been coddled and carried thru life because they provide entertainment. They have no concept of the real world or what it is like to work for a living! Most aren't qualified to work the night shift at Wallmart

These are the same guys who were always disruptive and ignorant in High school and college! The only positive thing about them being in your class, is that maybe you were lucky enough to be graded on a curve. If so, they were invalueable ;D

They are expendible! Just like the cars that get crashed into the wall at Nascar events!! They are here for our entertainment period!

That said. I don't begrudge football players their money! They trade their long term health for a paycheck. And the NFL has plenty! If they choose to trade body parts for cash, I am more than happy to watch!

I hope the NBA owners shut the players out and cancel the whole season next year and put these clowns in their place!!!!!!!

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
Hey, we've all said stupid things in the heat of the moment. I understand he uttered that statement as a small part of a much larger interview right after learning that the NFL owners had followed through with the threat to lock the players out.

Cut the guy some slack.

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
Some of these comments sound as though the owners are to blame. No one goes into business to LOSE money. Not saying an NFL owner is losing money, but damn, if you OWN a business and your EMPLOYEES think they're not making enough money, and want to see your profits, I'd tell 'em to eat a fat one too!

How many of us work for SOMEONE for a living? How many of us can our bosses/owners they need to show us how much they make, so we can take a bigger cut of it.

Want more money players, BUY THE DAMN TEAM!

All that being said, they're all idiots (players and owners). There's money lying on the table for all of them, right now....and they don't wanna take it. We're really the ones being given the finger. Why, because at the end of the day, we're the ones who willingly volunteer our hard earned cash, to keep all of them rich.

Too bad no of us have the fortitude or will power to teach THEM all a lesson. You go away, stay gone, cuz we won't pay for your product....not likely to happen though... :-\

So sick of pro sports right now. :mad:

·
Registered
640 Posts
Mrwigglestheworm said:
Some of these comments sound as though the owners are to blame. No one goes into business to LOSE money. Not saying an NFL owner is losing money, but damn, if you OWN a business and your EMPLOYEES think they're not making enough money, and want to see your profits, I'd tell 'em to eat a fat one too!

How many of us work for SOMEONE for a living? How many of us can our bosses/owners they need to show us how much they make, so we can take a bigger cut of it.

Want more money players, BUY THE DAMN TEAM!
You beat me to it.... Exactly what I was thinking. My boss makes tons and cannot image what her boss makes. None of my business, my answer to them is you don't like not knowing then find another job!!!!!!!! Play Ball Damnit ;D

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
You guys forget that it is the owners who are trying to convince the players to give back part of the share of the revenue that they bargained for, and to which the owners agreed several years ago. The owners are pleading poverty, but refuse to provide meaningful financial info. I understand the players' skepticism.

Second, it is the owners who have pushed the notion that the league and the players are "partners", working together to grow revenues that they both can share. Having invoked "partnership" when it suits their purposes, now the owners are saying they don't want to show their "partners" how well or how badly they're doing. "Partnership" doesn't work that way.

I think the owners may get their butts handed to them in an antitrust lawsauit. I think they have gotten bad advice, have badly miscalculated their chances in court, and I hope the players kick 'em all around the courtroom some more. Maybe then they'll really open the books and there will be a basis to resolve this dispute.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
gofindyourowndamnfish said:
You guys forget that it is the owners who are trying to convince the players to give back part of the share of the revenue that they bargained for, and to which the owners agreed several years ago. The owners are pleading poverty, but refuse to provide meaningful financial info. I understand the players' skepticism.

Second, it is the owners who have pushed the notion that the league and the players are "partners", working together to grow revenues that they both can share. Having invoked "partnership" when it suits their purposes, now the owners are saying they don't want to show their "partners" how well or how badly they're doing. "Partnership" doesn't work that way.

I think the owners may get their butts handed to them in an antitrust lawsauit. I think they have gotten bad advice, have badly miscalculated their chances in court, and I hope the players kick 'em all around the courtroom some more. Maybe then they'll really open the books and there will be a basis to resolve this dispute.
I agree with you..........but using the term "slavery" is a bit much. How many slaves made millions? On the other hand, how many NFL players have been whipped for failing to make a block, or dropping a pass?

W

·
0 Posts
Deuceu72 said:

I agree with you..........but using the term "slavery" is a bit much. How many slaves made millions? On the other hand, how many NFL players have been whipped for failing to make a block, or dropping a pass?
I totally agree. I saw AP drop that on Sportscenter. He reminds me of a whiny female dog I once ran into. Slavery? Give me a f'n break. I guess he'll have to rely on his Nike endoresment for cash. :(

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
Scott, I'm not buying into the "slavery" analogy. It was a dumb thing to say. We've all said dumb things in the heat of the momkent. I'm sure he regrets it. Folks need to cut him some slack on that.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Scott, I'm not buying into the "slavery" analogy. It was a dumb thing to say. We've all said dumb things in the heat of the momkent. I'm sure he regrets it. Folks need to cut him some slack on that.
Agreed. Lots of emotion from both sides. I do see what AP was trying to say and just think he used the word slave for lack of a better word at the time.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts