Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what do you guys use? I have just been enlightened on the product, I can't believe I've gone without it for this long. The guys who showed me how it works said the best product out has been taken out of production, experimentation is the best way to find what I will like, but your opinions, as always are welcome.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Ligas Shape-a-Wate is THE best! It's moldable when it's cold, holds the line well, and removes cleanly (well, about as cleanly as possible).

Loon Deep Soft is garbage in my opinion. It's too soft, gooey, and tends to fly off is you're casting a streamer (and needed extra weight). It also leaves sticky gooey stuff on your hands. It's too soft when warm and too hard when cold.

Ligas is about the same regardless of temperature and it's about half the MSRP of the Loon. Sportsmens Warehouse usually stocks it, or Cabelas. It's worth looking for.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
ive never been too happy with the moldable leads...but ive not played with any of the new products out there lately. im more of a split shot type guy...but i see its limitations.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rottal, this stuff is amazing, nymphing always mean weight adjustment. With this stuf you can adjust your drift in seconds without putting kinks in you leader. I've always been a splitshot user until now, I am completely sold!!!

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Hellfish is right. No kinks in the line, instant adjustment and it hardly ever snags (but if it does it can peel off). Better to lose tungsten putty than a two fly rig.

I don't even own any splitshot anymore.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
is that moldable weight stuff stout enough to like mold the body of a fly or jig and then cover with epoxy?

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
might have to give that a try

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I never thought of that either. I'm stuck with 2-3 containers of Loon Deep Soft and that stuff gets hard and brittle when cold - - maybe wrapping it over a hook and epoxying it in place is it's best use! Good idea - I'll give it a shot on some big stonefly patterns.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
just stoped in royale gorge anglers in canon city and picked up the only moldable weight that they had it is the loon deep soft man the stuff is pricey grab a chunk to expeiriment with we shall see what i can come up with

·
Registered
265 Posts
I am going to have to get some of that stuff too!!! I've always been a split shot guy.... This sounds like a REALLY good thing to me. BB splits are a pain to put on and it doesn't let you go from nymph to dry very easily...

Tim

1 - 11 of 11 Posts