Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard some tell me that you should put a mono or flouro leader on braided line, but I have also heard to just tie the braided to the lure... what should I do? I would think you get more feel if you tie directly to the lure... I'm mostly a fly fisherman, so I dont know much about this... lol...

·
Registered
664 Posts
I tie a 3 foot mono leader on my braided line. I use power pro on all my rods with various mono leaders...8lb for bass or 4X flouro tippet for trout. It works well as both a shock absorber (to prevent from ripping the hook out of the fishes mouth during the set) and for fish who may be leader shy. You can just tie it directly to the lure as well.

I think the leader is short enough that you don't really lose much feel but you're right...eliminating the leader will increase feel to some extent.

Try it both ways and see what you prefer.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I would think that really you would get about the same sensitivity considering your leader will only be about 3 to 5 feet. Even if mono were to stretch a certain amount when pulled, thats a lot less total length of line to stretch compared to a full cast of it. Also I think it would depend on how dark the water is and how skiddish or line shy the fish are. Braid will show up more most of the time then mono and might cause the fish to turn off. This is also seen even using normal mono between 6lb test and 8lb test where fish will hit one over the other. I'd say do what you wish, tie the lure directly to the braid for a while, if your not getting anything throw on a leader. I've almost never seen the pros on TV using a leader when their reel is spooled with braid.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts