Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this a concern? If so your thoughts? I know, if I catch a 20 lb walleye it might stretch :eek: No really how much of a concern is this? Sunlight and shelf life of plastics (my car dashboard:eek:) rise to the occasion, sometimes.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
During the season I re spool my mono reels once a month minimum, I have caught big fish on light line before that stretched it to the point of the line not being castable again. I also think its safe to say your car dashboard isn't a good place to store any sort of fishing tackle

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
I change it like once a season unless i see problems. Or sometimes I will change it before a big trip for big fish, etc. No point in wasting money and line. Don't overthink it unless you start seeing issues.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
I change it like once a season unless i see problems. Or sometimes I will change it before a big trip for big fish, etc. No point in wasting money and line. Don't overthink it unless you start seeing issues.
I agree with this unless you're a trophy hunter or something. Although, I do change my line a lot but it's usually cuz I'm swapping lb test or have shitty, full of memory line. Otherwise, I'll just clip off a foot here and there to get rid of the nicks and what not.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Overthink, that's not going on here, just learning. As for the dashboard comments (I worked in auto service depts. 17 yrs). The CO sun ruins plastic dash boards is all I meant. I once left a pair of sunglasses on a black dashboard/summer/windows closed....not good.

·
Registered
6,425 Posts
Mono is affected adversely by prolonged exposure to heat and sunlight. Mono is cheap, I change it out about every third cast.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Mono is affected adversely by prolonged exposure to heat and sunlight. Mono is cheap, I change it out about every third cast.
Water too

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Haha! My leader gets trimmed quite a bit. New leader every single trip. The whole line gets replaced 3-5 times a year, depending on how lures and line I lose. My bait dunking rods, which I don't use very often, probably only see new line more often than every 3 years.

·
Registered
6,425 Posts
LOL! Somehow, I don't think you're exaggerating! :eek:
Ok. Just to clarify, I only use Monofilament for small topwater hardbaits, buzzbaits and SELDOMLY squarebills depending on where I am fishing them. So yes, I change it out in rapid fashion when in use. Same with Fluoro but that is another discussion entirely.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Sometimes when I fish murky water you can just see it stained on your line the next day and all your line is just rough and corroded

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
What ever you do, don't get your mono at Walmart! I thought that since they sell a lot of it that it would be pretty factory fresh, dead wrong. Nothing pisses you off more than putting fresh line on, driving into the mountains, and having every big fish you catch break your line.

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
I have bought line Trilene XL at Walmart got home spooled it on and it only had 30 yards left on a 300 yard spool and it was neatly put back together with the white tape thing carefully put back in place...someone I imagine had filled their reel and had the balls to take the remaider back and got their money back...grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

·
Registered
16,631 Posts
I have bought line Trilene XL at Walmart got home spooled it on and it only had 30 yards left on a 300 yard spool and it was neatly put back together with the white tape thing carefully put back in place...someone I imagine had filled their reel and had the balls to take the remaider back and got their money back...grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!
Brutal, man!

·
Registered
16,631 Posts
I change out about 110 yds of my mono about every month. After I lose 20-30 yds thru snags scrapes and just retying, casting suffers. No reason to change out all the line, because you are only using the 1st 1/3 or so. I do tie my new line to the old with a nail knot you never know when you might need all your length on a hard running beast-

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I change my lines out pretty frequently (usually about every 3-4 fishing trips) regardless of what I am after. I know everyone here has there favorite brands of line and types, but for me I have used the expensive stuff and the cheaper stuff and found they all have issues with being stored on a reel for too long; whether it is stretching, memory curling, fading or staining it seems all types wear out pretty quick.

I would also add that if you are the guy that only makes a few casts per outing versus someone who does a few hundred your line may last a little longer. But for me the security of knowing the line is fresh and that it won't be the cause of a lost fish far outweighs the couple of bucks it costs each time to replace it.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Had the same thing happen @ Gander w/ some 100% Flouro.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I do the same thing slayer does, I keep "backing" on the spool and i use florescent green line for that because it helps me tell when my nicer more expensive line is getting low.

I dont use level winds often, i have some that have had the same mono on them for several years, i have never found the mono to deteriorate by just sitting around being stored indoors

1 - 20 of 21 Posts