Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took a co-worker to monument lake today because he and his kids have never fished before. I have never fished Monument lake before, so I had no idea what to expect. It turned out to be a pleasant little pond -- I would not call it a lake.
A private business owner just stocked the lake with 2 tons of rainbows, and let me tell you these are not your typical stockers. The smallest fish we caught was 15 inches and fat (1 1/2 lbs - 2 lbs). The largest was a 17 inch beauty. Did I mention these were stockers. The DOW also seems to have stocked several thousand 3 inch fingerlings -- as they were every where. The guy who stocked the lake asks that all of the trout be released, as the lake gets a fair amount of pressure. I happily obliged him and released the 4 trout we caught. This is a great lake for kids looking to catch something more than a 10 inch trout or a 4 inch bluegill. I would suggest that anyone with kids go and fish this lake before all of the big stockers are kept -- as it will not take long I suspect -- even with the business owner asking people to practice C&R.  I was using the typical stocker trout bait (Green PB with the sparkles) -- I think the sparkles makes it special -- fished off of the bottom.

Here are a few pics -- sorry the trout have no reference for size, you'll have to take my word on it. And again -- I am anything but a C&R nut -- but please release these fish so that Kids have the chance to catch some nice trout.

He is dirty because he slipped out of my hands -- but he happily swam away.

Monument Lake

·
Registered
280 Posts
Great scenery around there, there's also browns, splake and kokanee, its a fun lake to ice fish. Does anyone fish North Lake, Just curious if the fish get much bigger than Monument.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
nice pic of the lake man i never get tired of shots like that

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
I was wondering if the bite was good there yet, Thanks for scouting it out.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Oats, are you sure your not talking about monument reservoir? Before they drained monument lake to fix the dam, we used to go there and catch small perch, rainbows, and some catfish. If not, then i'll have to go and check it out.

Just for my sake, Mauser, your talking about monument lake thats in the town of monument, close to palmer lake?

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
jeremycallahan said:
Just for my sake, Mauser, your talking about monument lake thats in the town of monument, close to palmer lake?
I'm sure he is talking about Monument Lake, I read an article in the paper about the guy that paid to have the lake stocked with rainbows. Also the DOW did stock it with fingerlings but these wont be ready to catch for a while. I dont really target stocker trout but when the kid wants to go fishing they are always pretty easy to catch so he likes catching them.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, monument lake in Monument, by palmer lake. It was just re-filled. I don't target stockers either -- but my kid loves to catch "Blue trout" -- He named them -- I didn't.
But like I said -- these are not typical stocker trout. The 17 incher was peeling line like a professional.

As for people that bad mouth stockers, you should have heard some of the old-timers shout out with glee every time they hooked into a fish.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Oh ya theres two Monument lakes, I was talking about the one near the town of Cuchera, which is about 40 miles southwest of Walsenburg.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
mauser said:
As for people that bad mouth stockers, you should have heard some of the old-timers shout out with glee every time they hooked into a fish.
I'd rather be catching stockers then nothing at all.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I hear you on that one. It just cracked me up to hear those retirees hootin and hollerin when they hooked into a fish.

·
Registered
988 Posts
It takes a special kind of person to think like you Mauser. As I'm not a C/R guy niether. But you really put a good thought out there. We all should solute and follow you.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts