Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone recently fished Monument? Is there any fish in it? LOL...My dad is the chief of Woodmoor Public Safety and told me that that is the only lake that you are allowed to fish with fish within the 2 towns. Not sure about Palmer Lake the town. And does anyone know what kind of fish are in there? And my LAST question I swear.....Is Pikeview still completely open? Thanks guys and please let me know. If any of you know of any good lakes in the Palmer Lake/Monument/Woodmoor area please let me know!

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Pikeview has been completely open for some time now.

Monument (somebody correct me if I'm wrong) got stocked with trout last year and there supposedly were plans to put some warmwater species (bass I hope) in there this spring. I sure hope so because many years ago I used to go out to Monument and catch some real nice bass on the west side and by the dam. I believe they don't want to commit to stocking warmwater in there until they know they will have a decent water supply because those warmwater fish will go in as fingerlings and it will be 2 years before they are catchable.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Monument Lake - Stocker Trout. Probably a few 16 inch stockers left over from last year's stocking by a private business owner.  Any warm water fish will not have had enough time to grow since it was refilled last summer. I have not fished it since last fall -- but the fishing was good with PB or dry flies

PikeView was 100% open when I drove by the other day.

·
Registered
248 Posts
i went to monument lake about 3 years ago and seen a guy out there with what looked like deep sea equipment in the small old lake so i went over and asked him what he was fishing for and he told me they had sand sharks in there and that they grew up to 50 lbs i was shocked to even hear that but he swore up and down that he had caught some in there and i was wondering if anyone reported seeing any in there when it was drained i never heard another word about sand sharks anywhere just wondering if anyone had heard about sand sharks?? thanks

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
I'm guessing he was just pulling your leg. ::)

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
I have caught plenty of sand sharks, but they are salt water fish and would not be able to live in fresh water. I sort of doubt if any would grow to 50 lb. even in salt water.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Fishing and Hunt'n mag said Monument was stocked late in the fall for ice fish'n.  I fished it last Sunday for about 30 minutes, too cold, snow & wind.  There were about 5 other crazy's out there, but they stayed.  Don't know how they were doing it was too cold to even talk to eachother.  As soon as we have a decent day I'll take my girls there and try again, i may even drop the canoe in. 

Last summer the DOW sponsered a "fish'n day" at Palmer Lake.  They stocked it w/ trout and provided free poles and bait to kids.  Free prizes as well.  It is much harder too fish though, it get full of alga (spelling?)  I've seen warm water fish caught at Palmer as well.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
There are pike in Palmer Lake but with the low water this has been a marginal fishery.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ALL the fish in Palmer Lake died about a month ago. At least the trout. they stocked it and came back 1 morning and they were all floating dead! They believe it was something with the water and I believe the lake is drained right now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts