Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who here fishes the moon phases. I always try to work around the full and new moon. I've had better luck with the full with quantity and better luck with the new for quality. If anyone wants to try this as a new thing, I'd like to remind you that weather still affects how well the "so-called strategy" works.

What's your experience? Lets discuss!

·
Registered
603 Posts
I tend not to use anything that makes me "feel" like I may have a better chance at a good fishing trip than I would otherwise expect. It's hard to explain what I mean exactly. I fish for enjoyment, rarely keeping anything that I catch, ( other than wiper and the occasional walleye) and to me, looking at a moon phase will potentially set me up for a disapointment and /or alter when I fish. I'd rather start with an open mind, fish where I feel that fish are and when ever I get a chance to fish rather than let something possibly dictate the time that I should be fishing, I'd rather just be fishing.

As an example, If I wanted to fish Saturday and the moon phase stated that the fish would be more active at 5pm instead of the morning, I wouldnt want to skip the morning and fish the evening, I'd rather fish them both or whenever my schedule allows.

I re-read this and it didnt really convey what I meant,, So I'll close with,, I fish any time my schedule allows and for as long as my schedule allows regardless of the phase, I'll try to fish the conditions....

Brett

·
Registered
314 Posts
Attitude definitely makes a difference. The problem for me is that I tend to look at the negatives (weather, moon, lure, etc.). When I make myself think positive, I catch fish. That said, I never have much luck on a full moon (oops, there I go again).

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Brett

That's a good attitude, bud. Don't get me wrong, I go by the same ways you do. I just tend to concentrate a little harder on the moon phases if weather permits. But once again, that's a great attitude for any angler.

I've got a buddy who's not your passionate hardcor fisherman who fishes spontaniously. He'll just suddenly wake up one day and head out on his own if I aint there. He usually has a great time and usually gets these incredible catches that makes me 'wonder'. He always tells me that he does it for the simple joy and relaxation. I've caught plenty of wipers, crappies, white bass, perch, bucketmouths, catfish and trout in my times which is only 22 years worth so far, but never before have caught a wiper over 28 inches. This buddy of mine is someone who I know that has. Funny thing about it is... He says "It was nothin. It was fun."

If it was me, I'd have already told the whole town, everybody and their mother. :D

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
If I'm planning on fishing. I will even if all the signs say they won't be biting. However, if it's after work, and I wasn't really planning it, and the signs say Go. I'm there! If the moon phase says great fishing, the barometric pressure is dropping, I see active wildlife, The wind is from the west, Or the cows are standing. It doesn't take much to convince me. I bought a little fishing barometer from K-Mart. It has a needle that points to Great, Good, or Poor fishing. It has actually ben pretty accurate.  By the way 1eyered, nice site (lake-link), Thanks. I've been cutting the ones out of In-Fisherman, and sticking em on the fridge. 

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
I've neevr paid attention to thie type of thing but if I get skunked I always blame it on it.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Then again, I have hit jackpots before on days when the lunar calendar says that it'll be least productive.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Ive tried to follow the charts for years, but i think its more of a "guideline" than "gospel"...who knows though. my fishing success has varied so much its hard to say for sure. i definately wouldnt NOT GO fishing though if the charts said it was going to be bad....ill fish anytime.

·
Registered
179 Posts
ePiC said:
I've neevr paid attention to thie type of thing but if I get skunked I always blame it on it.
I never pay attention to it either but it sounds like another good one to put on the excuse list. ;)

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
so we can use it as an excuse when we dont catch anything and we can prase it when we do

i like not that i use alot of excuses or anything but something else to blame besides my kids making to many noises

·
Registered
16,527 Posts
I follow the Solunar tables which is basically the same stuff.Its amazing,sometimes eerie how well the "prime" times really are.I always catch fish,just catch more at prime time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts