Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went fishing at Lonetree today. Took the boat and went up the outlet channel into the trees to see if I could pull out any forks from the wood. Took live bullheads and waterdogs. First one I caught hit 30 minutes after I got there. He took a bullhead. Nothing for 2 hours, then three in a row on waterdogs. After all was said and done I caught 7 ranging from 4-6 pounds. I figured some bigger cats would hit. I guess I'll have to go back some night this week.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Fisher32 said:
What do you mean by bullhead?
Smaller members of the catfish family, genus Ameiurus, common everywhere. Known species are black bullhead, yellow bullhead, and brown bullhead; generally adult size is a pound or two. On the west coast, "bullhead" usually refers to a kind of minnow, which can be confusing.

The catfish is used as bait?
Sure, they make excellent bait for the larger kinds of catfish. Big hooks and heavy tackle are appropriate. Whole live perch and bluegills are also good bait for big cats.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
remember folks while using bullheads as bait is not specificaly laid out in the regs the regs do not list them as baitfish anyware so this is a gray area before using check it out and make your own decision and if you can find something in print that covers this issue please post it for the rest of us thanks

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have gone to the division of wildlife headquarters in Ft Collins and they told me that using bulleheads and bluegills were legal as long as I don't possess more than the daily bag limit, including those on my hooks.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
yes but unfortunatly all the wardens dont allways have the same feeling i have run into this on other subjects such as goldfish as bait and gold fish are specificaly mentioned in the regs so the best thing is to check with your local warden and office and even then you take a chance of running into a warden that will right you up and you have to fight it i just wouldnt wont someone to read the post and endup getting poped by a grumpy warden with out thinking it thru

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's why you request a letter in writing from the person giving you the go ahead. I have been stopped by wardens and had them tell me I couldn't, then I pull the letter out of my wallet and they read it and give me the go-ahead.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
nice touch!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts