Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I went out this morning to fish. I was only planning to fish for a couple hours because I needed to study for a dendrology quiz I have at three which I am doing right now. I got some large and medium shiners last night to take with. The first hour or so was nonstop action. I must've had at least ten fish that had the hook pull out. Plus, I had three or four that felt much nicer than the ones I landed that ended up breaking me off. My drag was pulling hard and I can only dream about what they might have been. Next time I'm going to have a setup with heavier line ready. I lost way more fish than I landed so I wanna get back out as soon as I can. I have that feeling where I feel good about what I caught but also feel like I missed out big time. I guess that's what keeps me going back. Most of the time I was fishing minnows but I jigged a fire tiger jigging rap for a bit and got one on that as well. Even with all the fish I lost, it was still an awesome time out. I just need to figure out a setup that will yield more solid hookups. I think I need to get bigger hooks to match the bait I was using.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Looks like those bass need a good old fashioned beat down and wouldn’t put up with it either man….. I’d get yourself a few circle hooks and throw on the fluoro leader. Another option would be to utilize a heavier rod coupled with a spring bobber but it seems your dealing with bass that are lightning fast….. a good sharp hook is highly recommended. Nice work gettin em on the lure and again nice work whompuscat658!

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
So easy whomp can even catch them!

·
P I K E
10,117 Posts

Good job Whomp!!!! Keep it up!!!!

·
Registered
5,192 Posts

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
There is no reason you should be breaking any fish off. Is the line breaking at the knot or above it? What kind of knots are you tying? What kind of line? How old is the line? Why is your drag set so tight?

I'd be taking a good look at these things.

Sounds like you're doing everything else right!

·
Registered
427 Posts
There is no reason you should be breaking any fish off. Is the line breaking at the knot or above it? What kind of knots are you tying? What kind of line? How old is the line? Why is your drag set so tight?

I'd be taking a good look at these things.

Sounds like you're doing everything else right!
^^^That's what I was thinking^^^. Break offs shouldn't be happening

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Nice! Gonna have to drag my carcass out tomorrow for some fishing. I might even get me some live bait... :D

So easy whomp can even catch them!
Here is what I know from one day of fishing with Whomp: the guy is a go getter. He was more active (moved more and tried more techniques/lures) than anyone else in the group. Given more experience and resources, he could become a very accomplished angler.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Here is what I know from one day of fishing with Whomp: the guy is a go getter. He was more active (moved more and tried more techniques/lures) than anyone else in the group. Given more experience and resources, he could become a very accomplished angler.
Cam has a man crush on old whomp... You too it appears.
It was a reference from Jamie trying to talk **** about how easy bass are on the brag board. :):D

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Cam has a man crush on old whomp... You too it appears.
It was a reference from Jamie trying to talk **** about how easy bass are on the brag board. :):D
The reference was not missed. Nor was the snark...

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
The reference was not missed. Nor was the snark...
:tongue::nod:

What Tang said BTW... Something isn't right. No need to rush these fish in.

·
Registered
358 Posts

So you’re saying whompuscat658 moves around and tries different lures? I do reckon such a tactic would be deadly and don’t think whompuscat658 wanted everyone to know :thumb: Here is what I know from one day of fishing with Whomp: the guy resembles a wiper in attitude and appearance but found his belief that a fish will bite next cast to be quite contagious.

Point here is I’ll be starting a go fund me page to increase those resources in order to be that accomplished angler….. I will fish every day with your help and get more experience in this angling world….. I’ll finally return to this forum a very accomplished angler and bump this thread :D

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
So you’re saying whompuscat658 moves around and tries different lures? I do reckon such a tactic would be deadly and don’t think whompuscat658 wanted everyone to know :thumb: Here is what I know from one day of fishing with Whomp: the guy resembles a wiper in attitude and appearance but found his belief that a fish will bite next cast to be quite contagious.

Point here is I’ll be starting a go fund me page to increase those resources in order to be that accomplished angler….. I will fish every day with your help and get more experience in this angling world….. I’ll finally return to this forum a very accomplished angler and bump this thread :D
You boys wanna come fish on my boat? :wink1:

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Nice whomp, your recent success has slightly motivated me to go...but so is the rapidly unthawing ice that surrounds me :D Open water is upon us:cool:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts