Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

More info on drifting?

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  EricCO 
#1 ·
Hay all. As most of you may know im pretty new to boat fishing. When people say 'We were drifting'. Are you talking setting up at a spot and just letting the wind or any under water current dictate where you go? Man I have alot to learn about fishing from a boat :0 :)

-Jay

#3 ·
Drifting is a very important boating technique especially amongst walleye fishers. If you just let the wind move your boat your going to go in all kinds of circles and usually not where you want to go. You can use yout trolling motor to control where you drift and this is very effective in bass fishing. However in walleye fishing if you can control your drift and slow it down you can work certain terrain very effectively. Thus people use a drift sock usually off the bow of their boat the 5 gall bucket method also works but not as good, I'm guessing because it doesnt allow water to pass through it. Drift sock looks like a wind sock but goes in the water. You can also use 2 at a time one off the bow and another off the stern all to control your drift, this is usually only necessary in bigger boats and on really windy days.
Drifting and boating techniques are practice techniques you have to actually get out there and do them to figure them out.

#4 ·
#5 ·
To my mind,drifting is just that-drifting with the wind.But that said,if the wind is not from a constant direction,it doesnt work too well.I t works great on Mcconaughy,sterling,john martin,pretty much anywhere out east or north of denver.Actually works well at aurora res.You can use a drift sock or the electric to fine tune speed and direction. Just another technique that works sometimes better than others!

#6 ·
I always found if I just drift without using the trolling motor to correct I always spin in circles, this might beccause we (my family growing up) could never afford good boats, but I always thought this would happen no matter what.

#8 ·
SLAYERFISH said:
I've never seen a boat go in circles-unless aided by copius amounts of rum&cokes!
OH, thats the problem going have to kick Bacardi guy off the boat next time. =)

G
#11 ·
Josh said:
Speaking of drifting and socks - Are you able to use a drift sock wile fishing from a float tube?  I use an anchor but on windier days it doesn't seem to help too much.
Just start eating a high carb high protein diet. I've found that my boat doesn't drift as quickly now than it did 5 years ago. :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.