Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am about 90% sure I will be at Spinney tomorrow (or should I say tonight). I have a good selection of flies. I have never been to spinney before. So I am wondering where is a better spot than others. I will be fishing from shore/wading. I have heard any where on the dam is good. Is this the case? I also thought that fishing the inlet on a lake at ice off is gold. Is this true? I don't need any gps cordinates just a little guidence. I bought a map I just hanv't had a chance to look at it yet. Thanks for the help guys. I hope to see some of you out there.

L

·
0 Posts
Alot of belly boaters fish the North shore/ weedbeds, west of the ramp. This is later in the season. I have never fished opening week before, but I have fished it alot other times. I also see people fish the creek arm coves and points on the south side, but I think they may be fishing for Northerns. ?? ??

·
Registered
391 Posts
For flyfishing,the Homestake inlet,or first cove after you go over the dam is very good.It has water flowing and a lot of spawners head up in there.The biggest problem will be having some elbow room there.The fish will be very shallow and most people I see use a double nymph rig under a indicater.

lyn

·
Registered
51 Posts
My brother in law was there opening week last year. He fished from the dam with an indicator and peach colored egg patterns. he did well. I will be up there tomorrow as well.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I've always had great success using jakes spinning lures and Tasmanian devils.. We normally troll the entire lake and end up settling in on the north side.. no way am I going to miss tomorrow/ tonight.. if anyone wants to drink a few tonight and swap stories we'll be up there..

·
Registered
98 Posts
From my home in AURORA, spinney is 2 hours 15 minutes going through the SPRINGS.... I'll be driving up early wednesday morning with my buddy....maybe I'll get a chance to meet some folks on the site...

·
Registered
265 Posts
I will be there in the am....   Hope to see some of you there!!!

Look for a dude with camo waders, grey fly vest, and a fleece sherpa hat near the homestake inlet!!

Pretty much just like my avatar shows!!

Ready to go!  I'm leaving the belly boat home tomorrow.

Tim-COS

·
Registered
797 Posts
Just some advice....take I25 south and go via Colo Springs, it is a long trip on 285, at least an hour longer from Aurora. Even from the Fort I would take 25 all the way to the Springs. Go Rams!

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Im going to head out there after I get off work at 7am so I should have a line in there around 9am right as the fishing picks up. :p

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
ePiC said:
Im going to head out there after I get off work at 7am so I should have a line in there around 9am right as the fishing picks up.   :p
dont you mean "right when the wind starts"

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Negative I did my anti-wind dance.

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
Should be balmy...no more than 10 to 15 mph...Spinney chop...for flies danced on bobbers...errrrrrr floats...errrrrrrrrrrrr strike indicators...

·
Registered
153 Posts
I dont think it is 3 hours and 15 mins from aurora... I live on 285 near conifer and spinney is only an hour and a half away from me... and aurora is less than an hour away from me... then you take off 15 mins for driving on my dink road to the house which slows you down. So I think it is the same distance...

·
Registered
153 Posts
another thing is, I dont know how 24 is... but 285 is a highway, 55 most of the time till you drop down into south park, then it is 65. It is not a bad drive by any means, and I did mapquest and mapquest said to go on 285

·
Registered
83 Posts
If you are coming from Aurora, I-25 to Hwy. 24 is much faster if you are going to Spinney. Depending on where in Aurora you are coming from it is between 1:45 and 2:15 to get to the lake.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts