Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While the warm weather is getting everyone excited about hitting the open water for some fishing action, I'm still trying to get as much time on the ice as possible. March and April always seem to provide great laker action through the ice and the warm spring temperatures make for great ice fishing conditions. Since it was suppose to be 50 degrees, sunny and calm today, a couple buddies and I decided to head to Williams Fork. The weather started out a little cloudy and there was about a half an inch of new snow. As the morning progressed, the sun came out and it was a great day to be on the ice. We parked at the east boat ramp and headed out to try some new areas we had picked out on the lake map. We tried 3 different areas and all three held lots of lake trout. We fished water from 32 to 51 feet deep and we caught fish at all depths right on the bottom. We used lots of different lures today, including fuzzy grubs, tube jigs, twistertails and small spoons(Thanks Slayerfish!). Everything we tried caught fish. We caught fish from 13 to 23 inches and we had quite a few fat fish that were between 20 and 23 inches. The ice was still about 20 inches thick with 8 to 10 inches of packed snow on top the ice. It got a bit slushy as the day went on but it wasn't as bad as we thought it might get. The fish wanted everything moving today and almost all the fish we caught were hooked less than a foot off the bottom. The ice should be good for several more weeks. All the fish we caught today were released.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Nice report Ray, harvesting your limit of smaller fish would be good, even if you just give them away, the trend nets last summer showed a large population of smaller macs there and there is talk of raising the limit on smaller macs and putting a one fish limit on larger ones, if the anglers help harvest those fish it should help keep the balance as the fork is now one of our main kokanee egg taking areas.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Again, you are the master and I bow to you. I was there for eleven hours on Sunday and had "one" mac 8" long.

·
Registered
16,570 Posts
mojo said:
I was there for eleven hours on Sunday and had "one" mac 8" long.
Damn thats gotta hurt! :D

Were you fishing in the parking lot? ;)

Great ya got some on the spoons. It works when they're aggressive.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
captain shuyak said:
Nice report Ray, harvesting your limit of smaller fish would be good, even if you just give them away, the trend nets last summer showed a large population of smaller macs there and there is talk of raising the limit on smaller macs and putting a one fish limit on larger ones, if the anglers help harvest those fish it should help keep the balance as the fork is now one of our main kokanee egg taking areas.
Thanks Steve. I have a couple more trips planned and I have several people at work who always tell me, that if I have any fish I want to get rid of, that they would be glad to take them. I will make sure to take some fish home and do my part to help keep balance at the fork.
SLAYERFISH said:
mojo said:
I was there for eleven hours on Sunday and had "one" mac 8" long.
Damn thats gotta hurt! :D

Were you fishing in the parking lot? ;)

Great ya got some on the spoons. It works when they're aggressive.
Sorry Mojo. It must have been a slow day. I'm sure you will find them the next time you head out.

I have been carrying those kastys for a long time Slayer. I decided it was time to try them. They didn't dissapoint!!

·
Registered
765 Posts
Great job! Love your pics. That's one lake I have not made it to this ice season. Normally do but not so far. Good to know the ice will be good for a while.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Nice. Thanks for the report, I want to hit that lake at ice out to try for some northerns. Tight lines. :)

·
Registered
879 Posts
Thanks Ray, your bad days are better than my good days. My brother caught 9 and a friend who went with us had 16. just not my year yet.

Slayer, you have no idea :'(

1 - 12 of 12 Posts