Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody out there mushroom hunt? Just wondering when the season here starts..Thanks in advance.

shunt

L

·
0 Posts
My turkey hunting buddy in Marrysville Kansas hunts for the Morels,, in eastern Kansas. It's a popular activity back there. I've never heard anyone doing it here though, in fact when I first heard about it I wondered why anyone would do such a thing, they then explained it to me. I don't even know if they grow here.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have only heard of one guy saying that he found morels in this area. I always figured he was lying....

I am from Kansas and this would be the season for them. I really wish that you could get them here.

·
Registered
247 Posts
i was just talking about this with my parents in laws yesterday. They are from illinios and every year my grand parents in laws bring out some morrels that grow on their farm. My father in law said that one year (here in colorado springs), he had some morels growing in the back yard. It was a wet winter and rainy spring. That is the only time he knew of them growing here.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
there really isn't any reason that I can see that they wouldn't grow here. Except for the lack of moisture. I've been watching their progression on the internet this year and it seems a little early yet for them to pop here. If nothing else it's a good reason to walk around outdoors. If I find any that's just a plus. ;D

M

·
0 Posts
I don't know what I am doing with mushrooms but I'll relate a story that might help you find them.

When I was an EMT, and worked at Lutheran Hospital, Evergreen Fire Department brought in a Korean family that had made mushroom soup. Apperantly, they got a call of people being sick. Got to the house, 3 people were passed out and the fourth passed out as the fire department was walking in the door. They were very sick from what they were eating (stuff coming out of everywhere). They brought with them a sampling of mushrooms that they apperantly "picked" in the woods around that area. After seeing that, I'll stick with store bought.

Evergreen area is the place I would start couting around if I wanted to do something like that.

·
Registered
542 Posts
My wife & I have picked them up by Grand Lake and above Central City.Early fall was the time of year.Mid to late August.Not as good or big as ones in Missouri when I livd in the late 80s.

·
Registered
879 Posts
I know about a dozen people who hunt for them on a regular basis. I don't even know what they look like. Still a little early yet I think. They won't even tell me where to start looking, bigger secret than ther fishing honey holes.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Used to hunt for them (morels) all the the time back home in Michigan. They would usually pop up in late April/early May depending on the weather and moisture. You would only find them until about the 1st part of June. The beefstate mushrooms could be found a little later. I have did a lot of research about hunting them in Colorado and have had no luck. I have been told by many people that they don't grow out here. I am not sure if that is true or not. Saw this post and had to give my 2 cents.

All I can say is if you have the chance to get some, there is nothing better than fried morels (little flour and butter just like trout) with brook trout.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Wow this is a great website... Morels!!!

I love morels, I haven't found one here in Colorado, I know we have them, maybe I'm looking at the wrong time of year. I used to pick them when I went steelhead fishing in the spring (michigan). No fish - no problem if had... morels.

I recognize morel spots are more closely held than the best walleye spots, Ok, Ok, so whats it gonna take to get someone to show me their secert spot?

L

·
0 Posts
A few years ago a buddy of mine was hiking around Guanella pass and found a bunch of the kind that make you giggle a lot.
A buddy huh?? Yeah, OK.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Especially when there's nothing funny going on. There is a mushroom hunting club in Colorado, the Colorado Mycological Society where you can learn all about finding, identifying and cooking with mushrooms.They can be reached at http://www.cmsweb.org/

1 - 15 of 15 Posts