Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what are the most interesting fly patterns you have ever come across? I was sitting here thinking that it would be cool to tie up some exotic flies like a scorpion or black widow or something if for nothing else, the novelty factor. Maybe I could do a little shadow box of different flies to make it look like an actual insect display or something only they're all flies.

This ones cool

http://i2.wp.com/drowningworms.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Wasp-fly-pattern-for-fishing.jpg?resize=350,200

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
If you tie up some gourmet flies, you should post em up! I like that idea. Could even be a family keepsake down the line. Just a thought.

·
Registered
216 Posts
The trouts at Spinney have been taking all type of terrestials on top --beetles,ants,cichadas,hoppers -- that wasp would be a good candidate also..

·
Registered
358 Posts
The most interesting flies might be those made of real gold and/or feathers from endangered species......... any patterns made of these materials are surely the most interesting for no other reason than how rare and unique they must be lol

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The most interesting flies might be those made of real gold and/or feathers from endangered species......... any patterns made of these materials are surely the most interesting for no other reason than how rare and unique they must be lol
Lol! Some bald eagle hackle with baby seal chenille and whale oil floatant is a killer combo!

·
Registered
238 Posts
I can't seem to remember the artists name, but he ties flies like you are describing. They are expensive if you want to buy one, but he had a praying mantis that made me take a second look. I'll see if I can find his work and post a link or picture.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Oliver Edwards makes some extremely realistic fly patterns. Look him up. Also, local guy Shane Stalcup also had some really cool and effective patterns as well. The damsel fly pattern he has is a killer.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Lol! Some bald eagle hackle with baby seal chenille and whale oil floatant is a killer combo!
Lol. I came across a winter killed baldy this spring. I though "wow...the fly I could tie" but decided that the fine for being in possession of the feathers would be a bigger "WOW".

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Thats why I mostly use Prebbles Jumping Mouse dubbing on my flies.

·
Registered
337 Posts
A LONG time ago (statute of limitations applies) I had a smolt pattern that I would use on the Naknek River in AK. I won't say what the main ingredient was, but my name for the fly was the ill-eagle.

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
Good thing we don't have to tie realistic looking flies to catch fish.

I'd be screwed if we did.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Mating Midge: tie two midges together

Menage-a-midge: three midges tied together

Minorgy: 4+ midges tied together

-From World Renowned Fly Fisherman Hank Patterson (do a Youtube search!)

·
Registered
438 Posts
The best flies are the cheap ones at Discount. They last as long and catch as many fish as any. I used to make a trip over to Junction once a month. There was a local sporting goods store that offered a price of about $.55 if you bought a dozen. I still have fly boxes filled with all sizes of all the flies I use from that place.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts