Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

Most successful ice lures/jigs for trout?

9K views 25 replies 14 participants last post by  Dave M 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm going to whip up some flies for ice fishing. I want to start by sort of mimicking the current lures/jigs on the market that people tend to have success with here in Colorado. I have a few ideas in mind, but want to hear from you guys. (Calling Dr Cro, P.S. I enjoy your videos) :thumb:

So, what are your most successful ice fishing lures/jigs (and color combo) for trout?

I also want to tie some up for Lakers, so anything that you have confidence in for them I'd like to hear of as well. Obviously 3" white tube jig is on the menu...

Thanks for the help, appreciate any input.

#2 · (Edited)
Well something that replicates a refinkee is one of my top choices for early ice at most places. Last year for example I ended up catching 2 large lakers, and some big brows as well as jumbo perch so I highly recommend that my second one is a pink tube 1.5 to 2 inches and lastly I like a swedish pimple.

Having these you're set for the year! Throw in a HD Ice in Bubble Gum and Ghost White and maybe a 4inch tube in pearl white for lakers!

#3 ·
Thank you for the quick response! I just finished watching your laker video from last Dec. I would not have guessed he came on a ratfinkee. I have a few but I'm still going to try and tie a similar fly. I also have a couple swedish pimples. Appreciate the info man

#8 ·
Thanks for all the replies. Had a little time to spin up a few tungsten jigs that I’ll try out this winter. Far left is something different I came up with. Middle-ish row is glow ratfinkee type jigs with heavy tungsten. Far right is a tungsten tube jig imitation. It was fun to tie something outside the norm. A kastmaster would be hard... Haha

Attachments

#17 ·
I'm gonna make something like this tonight. Sounds cool

Awesome thanks - never used kastmasters on the ice and will give them a try this winter.
I've had good success on katsy's also, just never tried the chrome/orange color. I'm gonna have to get one...

I also HIGHLY recommend a swedish pimple, the flutter action that displays is very enticing to fish especially perch and crappie.

Good luck out on the ice this season, hope you reel in some biguns!
Agreed. I've had good luck on the swedish pimple for trout

Where do you intend to use these flies? The non laker ones.
Mostly around the front range lakes between Buena Vista and The Springs.

#22 ·
Sweet, thank you!

Little Tough Guys by Gitzit. My all time favorite Ice jig. I can’t put a number on how many slimers, browns and Lakers I’ve seen caught on these. Flip the package to make sure your getting 1/8th ounce and not the 1/16. They are Total murder tipped with just half a mealy, waxy or power worm. You can fish the 1/8 ounce up 65’ deep on 10 or 15lb braid.
My other favorite was the Foxy Jig by Blue Fox which was discontinued several years ago for some dumb reason

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Awesome!!! Thanks for the info, I'm going to see if I can find some this week.

not sure if they are still available but the old ice lasers used to catch some good fish.
I'll have to see if I can find what you're talking about.

Made a few more jigs (added as attachment), hoping to get out the Sunday after Christmas.

On another note, I was able to get out on black Friday, caught some fish and accomplished the goal I set for myself that day. I'll post it up in the reports section.

Attachments

#19 · (Edited)
Little Tough Guys by Gitzit. My all time favorite Ice jig. I can’t put a number on how many slimers, browns and Lakers I’ve seen caught on these. Flip the package to make sure your getting 1/8th ounce and not the 1/16. They are Total murder tipped with just half a mealy, waxy or power worm. You can fish the 1/8 ounce up 65’ deep on 10 or 15lb braid.
My other favorite was the Foxy Jig by Blue Fox which was discontinued several years ago for some dumb reason

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#26 ·
the last 2 years i been using tf out of bobby garlands. been using them a lot for lakers at williams fork for when they are finicky in the Bernie keefe approved colors, lol. trout love them as well... pair them with a ninja "get jiggy with it" jighead and fish them slow.

trout love the hell out of them... them and the bio bait tubes in white or pumpkin.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.