Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just an idea to inject a little fun into the Fly Fishing section (not that you need it). Thought it might be fun to read some responses to this Q:

In all your days of fishing, what is the most unusual fish you have caught on a fly?

In other words, perhaps a species that is not taken on a fly all that often (e.g. lake trout), or one that is difficult to catch that way. What about rare species (e.g. tiger trout). Or maybe a catch that surprised you b/c you didn't know that kind of fish lived in the water you were fishing. Etc.

Just for fun ... any takers? Tell us your story! :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Walleye. I usually catch them by bottom bouncing deep with minnows or worms.

The other weird one is not a fish...bats. I used to catch them all the time when living in upstate NY.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Typically I foul hook a couple flannel mouths every year on the Rado, but this iis the biggest I have caught and suprisingly it ate a prince nymph

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
About an 18" Arctic Char on a Griffith's gnat on the Blue river in Silverthorne. At the time it was my biggest fish on a dry fly, but I had no idea what it was when I caught it.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You guys have made this thread GREAT! :eek:

Honestly, I was checking in to see if anyone had responded, as I had begun to doubt myself and thought maybe it was a stupid thread idea. If no one had answered I was going to delete it.

Instead the fly fishing contingent of CF has turned this into a downright cool smorgasbord of fascinating catches. Every one of them. I can't believe you dudes got some of the above specimens on the fly! Sweet.

We can also include saltwater, if that pushes anyone off the fence (permit, anyone?). Or what about that beautiful (freshwater) exotic, peacock bass?

Stepping up big time, fly flingers. (Insert 'thumbs up' icon here.)

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
For me, any "big" fish is an unusual catch. :mad: This was really a surprise though. 22" large mouth bass. I was fishing for bass, but I had no idea there were any this big in the pond I was fishing at. Got him in a bead head WOOLLY bugger (for tangler).

·
Registered
194 Posts
Laker on a dry fly...

Big bass on a carp fly...

And the fish I am most proud of...

I'd throw a splake on here, but I've caught so many that it's not unusual to me anymore.

I'd be shocked if there aren't a few snake, frog, bat stories from this group...

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
3-run homer for CaddisShack, following FishLip's earlier 3-run jack! Very impressive, fellas.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I caught a 10" bullfrog. I was picking on perch in a small pond and after adjusting my indicator my copper john was covered with an inch of weeds and moss. As I dragged it towards me this big 'ol frog want ape and attacked it twice. There was so muck crap on the fly he never got a hook in him but let go of its deathgrip until I lifted him five feet up and grabbed hold of him.

What do I win? :D

1 - 20 of 35 Posts