Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i fished this lake several years ago and caught a really nice pike and seen some other pike that were huge. Iheard that the lake dried up recently, but i was just on the dow page and saw that they stocked it in aug last year and was wondering if anybody could give me some info on it.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
FB:

When they drew the lake down they got rid of the Pike. Another good Pike fishery gone. Bummer. The lake does support some fat trout! Good Luck...Let us know how you do.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks lucky7 wish the pike were still there that was one of the only lakes I have been able to ,wait the only lake I have been able to catch big pike out of. Caught a ten pounder bout 26-28 inches a couple years back . I went there for pike was fishing with tubes and sucker meat the huge trout I was seeing was scared of them so I tried a 1/8 kastmaster with power bait caught the biggest pike of my life (so far) but thanks for the report there is some big rainbows down there probably 5-6 pounders if the lake didn't totally dry up.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ya fished it last year caught two pike small very slow day thinking it may be all wiped out also very low wter conditions. thanks for the info appreciate it

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Daredevil said:
try the sanchez Theres NICE PIKE IN there ;) and its not far from there
I heard that the Pike are not doing well at Sanchez due to the alkaline level of the lake and not enough perch to fatten the Pike.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I'm from San Luis and my parents still live there, it is true that the lake sufferd from the drout. But they have not drained that lake in 48 yrs. The story of the winter kill is not true. In fact I fished it a lot last year. the Sanchez is a great place to fish for walleye and pike. Last year I had good luck on walleye and a lot of small pike. one day a guy from new mexico nailed a 36 incher. i know they are in there.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Daredevil said:
I'm from San Luis and my parents still live there, it is true that the lake sufferd from the drout. But they have not drained that lake in 48 yrs. The story of the winter kill is not true.  In fact I fished it a lot last year. the Sanchez is a great place to fish for walleye and pike. Last year I had good luck on walleye and a lot of small pike. one day a guy from new mexico nailed a 36 incher. i know they are in there. 
Daredevil:

My Mother-in-law grew up in San Pablo. You can see the Sanchez Dam from her old house. This is good news as I love that Lake! I plan to hit it with the boat this summer!

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
man that is good news about sanchez had some really good days there might have to go hit this year as well. Ihave never fished it in the summer only through the ice any secrets for for the soft water season down down there

B

·
0 Posts
I would not get to excite about Sanchez, I fished it last summer and the walleye are very under feed (skinny), that same size eyes 2 years earlier were pushing 3.5-4 lbs, were only 1.5-2 lbs. I spoke to the DOw officier for the area and they are tryihg to recover the perch population but it will take time. It was a great lake and will be agian, but it needs some food for the eyes and pike....

·
Registered
227 Posts
I fished Mountain Home over the weekend. We caught 6 trout 10-15" on powerbait and nightcrawlers. There were a lot of people there and most of them had a stringer full. The lake looked about 20-25 feet low it was about 5 feet below the boat ramp which is unusable. People were lauching small / medium size crafts from the shore.

·
Registered
201 Posts
that was a bummer about mountain home im sure the dow smiled killing all those nice pike. sanchez has been hurt bad but its still pretty good for pike and eyes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts