Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I just moved to Colorado a few years ago. My wife's parents live in Durango and my favorite place to fish is just a 30 minute drive away up towards Silverton. There is a small lake there called Molas Lake and everytime I go there, I catch a ton of fish and have a great day. I love it up there. For some reason, I greatly prefer fly fishing in lakes rather than rivers. I now live in Castle Rock and needless to say I don't want to drive 7 hours to fish at Molas Lake. (I drive limos for a living - so I do not want to drive far to fish.) I have driven to the Platte River a few times and mostly left the river dissapointed. My question is -- Does anyone know of some quality, small or medium sized mountain lakes within an 45 minute to 1 hour drive from Castle Rock? If so -- please advise. (Also, my 3 year old sometimes joins me, so I need something with easy access and not alot of hiking.)

Thank you!

Mike W.

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
Mike, In the summer months (I believe mid may-mid oct) you should try the catamount lakes on Pikes Peak. Go to springs, exit at highway 24 west (on southern side of downtown). Drive west till you see the turn off for Pikes Peak highway or Santas Workshop... Costs 5 bucks to go up there, but very nice, close and willing fish... Great for a fly rod/kids.

You could also try Monument Lake which is just about 20 min from you. Mostly smaller fish but great for beginners..

There are a few others, but you have to post more before you get full details!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you guys! I just googled images of Catamount lakes -- looks great! I appreciate your input. I drive a lot of clients to the Broadmoor in the summer. (I can hide my fly rod in the trunk and sneak up to these lakes!) Will a Lincoln Town Car make it up there? Haha

Now all I need is it to be spring!

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
When I first moved to Colorado, a guide told me if you can catch fish on the South Platte, you can catch fish anywhere in the US. That may have been a slight exaggeration, but too far from true. Enjoy the lakes, but don't give up on the Platte, especially this time of year when the lakes are frozen. Even first rate rate guides take a spanking on that water now and then. When it all comes together and you have a great day on the Platte, it is very satisfying.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts