Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to be in an area with Mountain Whitefish in early July and was wondering if anyone has any tips or tricks to finding and catching them? I have heard that they hang out near bottom, and like size 14 to 18 flashy nymphs. Any tips are greatly appreciated as they are one of the few game fish that I have not yet caught in Colorado.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Try the search function, there should be some old threads. Colorado River around Basalt IIRC. Some of the fly shops up that way should be able to give you good info also.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
I have actually had them take stimi's on the surface...???

You got the right idea on how fish for them. If you fish nymphs for trout, you will catch
all mighty whitey the same why.

They fight hard and they don't like being touched.

HAve fun and post a report.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have actually had them take stimi's on the surface...???

You got the right idea on how fish for them. If you fish nymphs for trout, you will catch
all mighty whitey the same why.

They fight hard and they don't like being touched.

HAve fun and post a report.
Thanks, I will post a report, hopefully with pictures. I have always wondered why many people consider Whitefish to be a trash fish. They have interested me for a long time.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Whitefish are what some would call an "indicator fish". Whitefish like clean water and where you find them are usually good trout waters. I haven't caught whities on dry flies but have often caught them on the same nymphs that I was using to target trout. I haven't particularly targeted whitefish in Colorado but often caught them while fishing the Deschutes up in Oregon.

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
White lightning are great fun. Fight hard for a bit, but usually give up quickly too. And they bleed like stuck pigs. LOL

·
Registered
72 Posts
Small, heavy nymphs in faster water than typical for trout. They never stop shaking which makes it hard to get hooks out so take a net too. They get stressed really easily when the water temps rise and we see a lot of them belly up in august after being hooked so take the time to revive them properly if you plan to release. I usually take them to the nearest aerated water for a couple minutes before release. Have fun.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts