Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a pic of a mouse from a cutty I caught in wyoming this weekend.

·
Registered
16,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
HookNLine said:
Did u cut up the mouse and use it for bait?
Nah,I left it for the seagulls. I've gutted a ton of fish and this is a first for me!

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
SLAYERFISH said:
Here's a pic of a mouse from a cutty I caught in wyoming this weekend.
I am relieved -- I thought from the title that you had found a rodent in your bottle of scotch whiskey. :eek:

G

·
That is really interesting! I love a deer hair mouse on a river with big fish! Now I know they really do eat the damned things. Nifty. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
That is very intresting. I would never think a trout would eat something like that. Maybe a big brown but not a cutty.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
waterwolves said:
That is very intresting. I would never think a trout would eat something like that. Maybe a big brown but not a cutty.
river trout are opportunistic and will eat anything that goes past them usually, mostly because they only have a split second to get it because of the current.

G

·
I've heard of people buying mice at a pet store, gluing a big hook to its back, float the mouse on a small piece of wood and when the boat gets away from the mouse/wood yank the mouse off the board into the water. Viola, big fish bait in the water.

Don't know if it works or if it's a true story,, but interesting.

·
Registered
24,644 Posts
Slayer...nice job!...never gutted one and seen a mouse...but they used to use a floating mouse lure for stream browns in Minnesota...I know guys use deer hair mice for trout...I hope someone with a flyrod goes up and tries this after dark on the tailwater on the Taylor...a fly rod and a deer hair mouse...any way pretty kewl...

Supposedly they used to sell gophers in the bait stores of northern Minnesota...they had little hook harnesses for them...I found this link...

http://www.lurelore.com/gopher.html

I would love to see Bill Murray doing his Caddyshack voice fishing that and doing narrative...

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
Zman those look like floating terds more then a mouse . We use to fish dusk at john with Deer hair mice but I never had any luck with them.

·
Registered
24,644 Posts
Trout...

They were made 50 years ago...turds were all they had to work with in the dark ages...I believe it where the terms floater and top water were derived...would you like corn with your gopher?

I think there is more of a chance of a mouse being swept into a stream than a lake or reservoir...it might be interesting to try a deer hair mouse at North Delaney...but I would never take the Rapala off my line log enough to give it a quality try...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts