Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello,

Oregonian fly fisher here looking for help. I'm thinking of applying for a job in Saguache. Never been to the area. Quick reaseach shows the Arkansas as the big name local water. Would I make a big mistake leaving Cental Oregon Steelhead and trout, or would exploring the waters in this area keep me entertained??

Any other thoughts about recreation, real estate, whitewater would be more than welcome as well.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Central Oregon it's not!

Saguache is a very small town in the San Luis Valley. Flat, poor, dusty, and agricultural. There's not much water around (lots of irrigation) - the Rio Grande is a bit south - good float fishing - and the Ark (Salida) is 45 minutes to an hour north. The Sangre de Cristo Mountains to the east have great hiking and some excellent cutthroat fishing in the high lakes. The mountains, especially the west side, get relatively little use and there are some monster cutts just waiting up there!

I'd think twice before making Saguache my home though. I'd think a few times really.

D

·
Registered
863 Posts
Saguache...Is there water there?

Just kiddin, you'll have to drive a ways for anything like your used too!

But i love the area, i have hunted elk northeast of there and fish the high mountain lakes dirrectly east. Always take out-of-town guests to the Great Sand Dunes for a day>esp. kids....Mikinaak Out! 8)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input....I think I'll stay here for now.... 8).

I lived in Fort Collins for a winter and decided I didn't like living on the sprawl of the front range...The sprawl of central oregon is starting to feel the same, looking for change, but Saguache ain't it!!!

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
your steele head and salmon could eat even a big cut from the sangres and most any trout in the state. something to think about if you like big fish

the lakers would be the only trout that might have a chance of comparing and you would have to work hard and travel far for them

·
Registered
14 Posts
I grew up in the SLV, in Monte Vista - about 30 miles south of Saguache. Sounds like you've already decided, but I'll second what others have said. Not much water in the valley. It would be at least an hour's drive to the good fishing on either the Arkansas or the Rio Grande. Or a drive west to the Gunnison area.

I'm surprised you could even find a job to apply for there!

Now, Salida on the other hand...you mentioned it in the subject but not in your post...right on the Arkansas, MUCH bigger than Saguache (although still pretty small), fairly close to large cities. I'd move there by the end of the day if I found a job there!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts