Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm moving to Denver in 2 weeks. I just bought a 21' North River Seahawk with offshore bracket last year that I used for salmon fishing. I'm concerned with having to much boat for the area and I also heard it can be a nightmare to launch your boat on the reservoirs.

Let me know your thoughts and what is available - I have no issue turning to bank and wader fishing - Just don't want to have a boat sitting in storage.

Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.

I heard it's hard to launch the boat on the reservoirs?? Any truth to that? I assume that is on the weekends when the weather is warm for the ski boats?How many options for fishing with a boat that size that would be with in 1-2 hrs of Denver?

Thanks again

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Would not be my first choice for Co. but it should be fine, launching won't be an issue at most areas and if you already have it why not. A lower profile boat will hold in the wind better and you wouldn't need as long of shaft on your electric bow mount. Most anglers prefer to position, cast and jig rather than or in addition to trolling so it may not be ideal. There is a Thunder jet that runs around Granby all Season. As far as fishing in general goes get ready for a letdown from wherever you were our Salmon are miniature Red wannabes.

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
My thoughts would be that the resell value for that boat is probably much greater in your current location. If you're planning on staying in Colorado for a while...I'd probably sell it there and buy a more Colorado appropriate boat...

Will it work here...sure. Are there better choices for Colorado...probably.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
My thoughts would be that the resell value for that boat is probably much greater in your current location. If you're planning on staying in Colorado for a while...I'd probably sell it there and buy a more Colorado appropriate boat...

Will it work here...sure. Are their better choices for Colorado...probably.
x2

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
My II Cents

Will it work here...sure. Are there better choices for Colorado...probably.

I currently have a 20 ft walk thru, full windshield. My previous boats were smaller without windshields. The 20ft is far better and I launch by myself without issues.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Like anywhere else, our ramps can be good to horrible. With a boat that big you
probably want to stick with ramps that have a place to tie off after you've launched (if you're alone).

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
It's not the length of the boat...you'll have no problem launching. I guess it depends upon your style of fishing. If you like to troll Blue Mesa..Granby..Taylor..for trout, salmon, or lakers.. your boat would probably work great. It would also be fun to take to Powell.

If you're going to be doing a lot of jigging..spot locking..and you still wanted a large boat..Personally, I'd rather have something like a Ranger Reata in the same price range..or ibgrizz's Lund.

Like I mentioned..if you do decide to sell your boat..I'd have to think it would bring much more money in a coastal ..or Great Lakes state than it would in Colorado.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
we use kayaks in Colorado!
Not sure if you are joking but in this day and age that makes a Lot of sense, as we keep losing areas to no power boat regulations and the can of worms with the mussel inspections if I was starting out today a Hobie mirage would be my choice.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm moving from Washington State where most of my fishing was done on the Columbia for Salmon along with the salt water for shrimp/crab. I also used it alot trolling for Kokanee.

I just bought the boat a year ago and I do have a buyer. Put 10K down on it and if I sell it I will recoup 4K - Not to bad if I decide to cut my losses and not tow it to Colorado.

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Near, or in, Denver you have Aurora..electric only.. Chatfield, and Cherry Creek..a bit north..Horsetooth and Carter..two hours south...Pueblo. Most likely fishing for bass, walleyes, and wiper. These are are larger front range reservoirs..On any of these lakes, your boat is massive overkill.

For your boat...a couple of hours from Denver...Granby would be your best option.

·
Registered
16,684 Posts
I'm moving from Washington State where most of my fishing was done on the Columbia for Salmon along with the salt water for shrimp/crab. I also used it alot trolling for Kokanee.

I just bought the boat a year ago and I do have a buyer. Put 10K down on it and if I sell it I will recoup 4K - Not to bad if I decide to cut my losses and not tow it to Colorado.
Heck yeah- Sell that baby and pick up one of the $70K Rangers!

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Now, if you're looking to sell your boat in Colorado. AO has been talking about buying a really big boat in that price range..I think he wants to name it OverCompensation..

1 - 20 of 26 Posts