Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My name is Simon. I love fishing and in the last couple years picked up fly fishing. I know little about fishing for trout but have caught tons of bass, anadramous american shad and hickory shad, and Stripers on the fly because I was living in the piedmont region of NC. I want to do more trout but would like to continue throwing clousers and other large flys not conducive to the equipment haha. Out here in the deep east they call the fly rod the handicap, its not the best way to catch warm water or anadromous fish but when you hook into a 24 inch american shad (relative of tarpon) and it takes off like a torpedo there is no going back to conventional gear. I am posting here because I am hoping to meet other passionate conservationists/hunters/fisherman/backpackers/canoers etc. that either live or lived in the area. Ideally I would like be part of a community that revolves around fly fishing and conservation.

·
Registered
16,654 Posts
You want the DRAKE forum- God Bless-

·
Registered
388 Posts
My name is Simon. I love fishing and in the last couple years picked up fly fishing. I know little about fishing for trout but have caught tons of bass, anadramous american shad and hickory shad, and Stripers on the fly because I was living in the piedmont region of NC. I want to do more trout but would like to continue throwing clousers and other large flys not conducive to the equipment haha. Out here in the deep east they call the fly rod the handicap, its not the best way to catch warm water or anadromous fish but when you hook into a 24 inch american shad (relative of tarpon) and it takes off like a torpedo there is no going back to conventional gear. I am posting here because I am hoping to meet other passionate conservationists/hunters/fisherman/backpackers/canoers etc. that either live or lived in the area. Ideally I would like be part of a community that revolves around fly fishing and conservation.
Hi Simon,

Welcome to the forum! Slayer is right, the Drake is a good place if you are only into fly fishing. However there is alot of good info on here as well. I for one welcome another multi-species fly fisher. I do fish with spinning gear, but much prefer catching fish on the fly rod. I agree though, for some warm water species it can be a handicap. I like fishing for Carp on the fly rod. If It was all about catching Carp with consistency I would not use a fly rod, I would use bait.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What is the "DRAKE" forum? Also I do fish using spin rods still. Its just fly rod is preference. I found thedrakemag is that the forum you are referring to?

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm from FL originally and understand what you are saying about those monster shad. I grew up spearfishing and fishing with conventional gear. I never targeted tarpon because I felt it was a waste of time trying to catch a fish you can't eat. Then...one day in the FL Keys I was fishing for snapper next to a bridge. I was quickly reeling up a short to keep Mr. Cuda from stealing it. Right at the snapper hit the surface a small 50lb tarpon swallowed it. At that very moment, the tarpon was hooked and I was hooked on Tarpon fishing. They just go insane when hooked. Tail walking, jumping and flipping. I then spent most of the rest of my Keys trip jumping tarpon. That also, lead me to picking up fly fishing.
These days, I have too many injuries to swing the 12wt. I agree that up here there's nothing better than a mountain stream, a fly rod, and a fat cutty or bow.
For me the only thing that doesn't lead to me spending a week in massive pain is ice fishing. It only leaves me in massive pain for a couple of days.
Hopefully, when the ice is ready you'll give it a try.
In any case welcome to the area!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have dreamed of going ice fishing. I also would love to take home some lake trout which I have heard you can catch while ice fishing. also, thanks for the back story. Catching any fish that takes you into your backing on a fly rod is life changing for any angler. I have never caught a tarpon but after fishing for shad, tarpon are on my list.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts