Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so, how did all of you guys do if you icefished for pike this season? Biggest fish landed, average fish landed, number you caught, etc.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
I iced the big fat 0 pike this year, just seemed to busy to make it out as much as I had hoped.

·
Registered
943 Posts
i caught one 16" pike this year from 11-mile but it was my biggest so far and he looked like a football ;D

·
Registered
16,630 Posts
I caught 2 at 11-mile 14"&18" no weight to speak of. I'm sure I lost a biggun at the Fork.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
So far, the biggest is a 29" from 11-mile, but caugt a couple 26-27" at the Fork. All were eating well. All have been few and far between.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
waterfowler said:
So far, the biggest is a 29" from 11-mile, but caugt a couple 26-27" at the Fork. All were eating well. All have been few and far between.
Heading to the fork Monday...Any advice on icing Pike there? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I am new to Colorado (but experienced in Pike fishing) so i am still learning myself, but at the fork i have learned that you must be shallow. I have had my luck in 3-5 FOW. I am so used to fishing them in 10-15 FOW so it was an adjustment. Unlike 11-mile, when fishing for pike at the Fork...you will not catch any trout (or at least i have not) so you might get board without any side action. Good luck, they are fatties up there.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't know how many I caught this ice season, but I caught a good amount. My average was 2 per trip. And I think I went for them around 30 times. A couple trips I caught up to 4 or 5, and a couple trips I got skunked. But usually my catch was right around 2. Lake X provided the largest northerns for me, 4 of them 10-12# (2 I didnt have a camera for and 2 of them I have pics in perspective of.) and 1 was at least 25# or so but almost surely the state record. Hard to tell but when you get one in the mid-high 40" range and they have the girth lake X pike do, which trumps anywhere in the state by a good portion, I am fairly sure it was a record. We all know the story with this beast. I also caught probably half a dozen pike at rifle 30-32" and fat, and probably 8-10#, and also probably another half a dozen of them around 14-17". At stagecoach I caught several around 17" and one 24" or so fatty, and lost a huge one. How huge, I have no idea. Never saw him. Rio blanco caught some small ones to 22" or so. I had a great season for them IMO...by far my best ever. If any of you want to pike fish with me next year through the ice, say in mid-december when lake X is ready, let me know and I'll fish with ya. You just have to promise to release all pike from this lake and I will have no problem showing you the ropes.
I would like to pike fish elevenmile next year, anybody in?

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
waterfowler said:
I am new to Colorado (but experienced in Pike fishing) so i am still learning myself, but at the fork i have learned that you must be shallow. I have had my luck in 3-5 FOW. I am so used to fishing them in 10-15 FOW so it was an adjustment. Unlike 11-mile, when fishing for pike at the Fork...you will not catch any trout (or at least i have not) so you might get board without any side action. Good luck, they are fatties up there.
hmmmm depth really depends on the fishery here I have noticed. Rifle gap they are consistently 5-10 feet, but usually around 6-7 feet. Lake X they are 10-12 feet deep for the most part. Stagecoach I found them 15-18 feet. Rio blanco 15 feet or so, which really shocked me because it is a shallow lake with a max depth of like 17 feet.
to catch pike well through the ice, you must focus on the shoreline contours. Focus on the inside turns in coves, weededges, inlets, points, etc. Rio blanco of course they changed all rules for them, seemingly cruising out in the middle of the lake for some unknown reason. Took me a while to figure that one out but once I did I caught em....very strange.
This time of year, pike are getting ready for the spawn. Fish shallow, 5-10 feet, around inlets or outlets where they will spawn. Always have the bait 1 foot off of the bottom, no more, no less.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yep. fish shallow like that one guy said. There is a very good chance you'll get skunked every time you go try to ice pike out of a lake- it can take a long time to learn a lake before you can successfully ice pike out of there. Lake X frustrated me for years. Icing pike is truly a waiting game. Make sure to stay away from your tipups and be fairly quiet. When you get a flag, run over there, and if the spool is turning, the fish is running with it. Set the hook when a fish is running with it. Do not set it if the fish has taken it but is sitting still, unless he has run with it for a while, in that case you can set it because you have the proper angle and he has stopped to swallow it. Be very careful with pike- they have strong runs. Between their runs, they do very little. Be especially careful around the hole- with a large fish it may take up to 5 times or so with it near the hole to be able to get it out. They get scared and run a lot. Get their head vertical and then you can pull them out. I know you've probably read this in my other thread, I'm just making sure you can ice a pike when you get the chance! Good luck hatchmaster.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Thanks TFB! I have read your pike thread about a hundred times. I hope i can ice one. I'll post a bunch of pics if I do. If not I'll just have to try again.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
persistence is definitely the key. Once you learn pike and start catching them, you'll be very happy. They fight better than just about anything (although a 15 pound trout outfights a 15 pound pike by a mile, 15 pound pike are much more common than 15 pound trout). Pike are also great eating and should be kept from certain fisheries (rio blanco and stagecoach specifically), so there is another good thing. If you want to get together next ice season hatchmaster, let me know and we'll hit lake X. I'm still trying to get better at lake X in the open water season though...it is a tough one to crack. I think the ice season actually is better there than the open water season. You really can't say that for anywhere else except lake x, but that is because at X they are so tough, so full, and so smart.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
probably. everyone said it was the worst year they've ever had at ruedi. we barely fished it...I was too busy with pike mostly...I got tired of barely ever catching fish above 20" during the later part of the ice season, so I was stubborn and kept going for pike. I'm glad I did.

·
Registered
863 Posts
hey TFB and hatch Id like to join ya guys on that lake X trip Ill surely let them boys go back to the water I just love the fight I havent caught a pike in quite sometime (havent really fished for em much lately though either) but used to have some cousins who lived up in Craig well they still do but the yampa runs right along the side of there house and boy do I miss those days.....so yea let me know if can tag along with ya guys..

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
TFB - Speaking of open water on Lake X. I have had my best luck on that lake during the fall. A couple of reasons why in my opinion: In spring lake X fills to capacity and Esox can be hard to locate, especially because of the lack of structure in that lake. That coupled with the pike spawn, they can be hard to figure out mood wise.

I have had great success in the fall and start to fish it when the first signs of fall have arrived (cooler nights), around the first week of September. Lake X is an irrigation storage reservoir so by the end of the summer, early fall it has been drawn down considerably, usually past half pool, which congregates the pike much more than spring. I usually target the depest part of the lake during this time because the pike are still holding close to the deepest water in the lake or are transitioning back towards shallow water. I'm sure you know the deepest part of that lake, the dam area. I usually fish it from shore and have had days with 3 or 4 quality fish. Until last year it yeilded my biggest pike, over 40" and girthy. Didn't get measurements or photo cuz I was fishing alone. I have had them explode on topwaters that time of year, but usually take em on larger jerk baits. Try it this fall.

Tight Lines!

Rip Lip

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks riplip. I can't wait to try it.
Pitbull- you're welcome to come. I'll show ya the tricks if you promise to put the monsters back.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts