Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
I would like to think those people in the streets get what they deserve! Real freedom!!! It worries me though that the same milatary and police that enforced the MubaraK rule are still there and are calling the shots!!!

They should not recieve a dime of financial or military aid from us, until they make good on their promise of free elections! That said. I hope it sticks and another Iran type situtation dosen't occur.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Mubarak is another Shaw! He was a puppet for the US! His right hand man is a terror torcher expert and he is the one the US sends terroists to be interrogated by!

·
Registered
910 Posts
F^^^ the doomed

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Middle_East/MB10Ak02.html

The Food and Agricultural Organization warned that drought in China might require the world's largest wheat producer to import vast amounts of the grain, forcing the market price to levels never seen before.

Not until June will we know the extent of the damage to China's winter wheat crop, virtually all its production. Extremely low rainfall this winter parched more than 5 million hectares of 14 million hectares planted, and the next few weeks' weather will determine if the world faces a real shortage of the staff of life.

Hoarding on the part of North African countries, starting with Algeria, has already pushed up the wheat price in the Mediterranean to a 20% premium over the price shown on the Chicago futures market. The immediate risk is that pre-emptive purchases of wheat will price the grain out of the reach of poor Egyptians, not to mention Pakistanis and Bengalis.

And if reserve-rich China, usually self-sufficient, goes into the world market to buy millions of tons of wheat, the price of wheat can rise to an arbitrarily high level.

There is a root cause to the Egyptian uprising, as I wrote last week (Food and failed Arab states,February 2), and it is not Israel, but China: prosperity in Asia creates inelastic demand for grain, such that a minor supply disruption such as the 2010 droughts in Argentina and Russia causes huge price increases. American economist Larry Kudlow observes as well that ethanol subsidies artificially inflate grain demand as well, contributing to the present price spike.

About 40 million Egyptians live on less than US$2 a day - far poorer than the Gazans who are now selling the food they received through Western largesse to Egypt.

The trouble is that people want to eat almost every day. Pundits and political scientists talk of a choice of political models as if they were at a Ford dealership rather than the scene of a national catastrophe. New York Times columnist Roger Cohen titled his February 7 offering, "Tehran 1979 or Berlin 1989?"

Automobile models and political models, though, have one thing in common: you can't have them unless you can pay for them. Iran in 1979 pumped 6 million barrels of oil a day, and petrodollars can pay for a lot of stupidity. Germany was in 1989 and remains one of the world's most productive economies. Turkey is the only Muslim country that produces large numbers of first-rate university graduates - I had the privilege to work with many of them in the financial industry - thanks to founding father Kemal Ataturk's emulation of the German university system starting in the 1930s.

Egypt has no oil, insignificant industry, small amounts of natural gas, and 40 million people who are about to become very, very hungry. Without figuring out how to feed the destitute bottom half of the Egyptian population, all the talk of "models" is window-shopping.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts