Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys use to get that hint of muddy taste out? Tried the white wine and milk with no avail. A buddy told me buttermilk but havent tried it yet.... ???:-\

·
P I K E
10,114 Posts
Tide gets the mud out!!! 8)

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
I have been taught that to remove the yellow fat fron catfish particularly channel cats put them in boiling water. Bring a pan of water to a rolling boil and drop the fillets in for 2 minutes. 2 minutes only, we don't want to cook them just release the fat. Remove the fillets from the boiling water after 2 minurs then fry as normal. I had heard of this idea several times so i tried it. It works every time. The yellow color is there but the foul taste is gone.

You also need to trim all the red meat off the fillets too. This helps immensely to improve the flavor. I would not eat channels before the boiling water trick. You will see a thin layer of yellow fat floating on top of the water after you have boiled several fillets so you know it is working.
Its from here...one of the easier of the ones i read...

http://www.crappie.com/crappie/cooking-crappie/112868-catfish-muddy-taste/

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
lol that will surely get rid of the shitty muddy taste and replace it with another!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Great Uncle in Texas used to keep the catfish alive in a water trough for two weeks and feed them corn. Family swore by that method to remove the mud taste.

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
What do you guys use to get that hint of muddy taste out? Tried the white wine and milk with no avail. A buddy told me buttermilk but havent tried it yet.... ???:-\
Buttermilk works.

·
Banned
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Next time i decide to keep a cat ill try it out and report back. Thanks for the input.

·
P I K E
10,114 Posts
instead of the muddy taste I want to know how you keep the hair out of your teeth!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts